Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 08/22/14 11:12
Author: Appalachianrails

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/14 20:47 by Appalachianrails.

Date: 08/22/14 11:33
Re: More Cardinal woes
Author: GenePoon

Start it all off in Chicago, where it didn't even get off Amtrak property until over five hours late!

Date: 08/22/14 11:40
Author: andersonb109

How can a train possibly be 5 hours late out of the gate unless late arriving equipment. Even if they discovered bad equipment at the last minute, it shouldn't take nearly that long to swap out. Good grief, you can fly to DC in less time than the train was late leaving!

Date: 08/22/14 11:58
Author: GenePoon

This set was one that got messed up by the rockslide in the New River Gorge; stopped in its tracks and passengers bus-bridged...and then turned around back to Chicago.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/14 12:02 by GenePoon.

Date: 08/22/14 12:04
Author: EDog535

Forget flying... Try driving! For the late 51 in the am I could have driven from Indy to Chicago, back to Indy, and then return to Chicago in the same time. Driving sure beats that schedule. As for 50, I could have left Chicago by car headed straight to Washington and got there before the train got to Indy! I think INDOT is gonna get their chain yanked when it's said and done!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/14 12:06 by EDog535.

Date: 08/22/14 12:05
Author: 1976

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How can a train possibly be 5 hours late out of
> the gate unless late arriving equipment. Even if
> they discovered bad equipment at the last minute,
> it shouldn't take nearly that long to swap out.

Both of those occurred. Did you not see 51 arrival time?

Date: 08/22/14 12:08

Typical naysayer... INDOT has nothing to do with the rockslide or Cardinal.

And if the blue and gold boys had a signal system that actually worked more than one day a week...

EDog535 Wrote:
> Forget flying... Try driving! For the late 51 in
> the am I could have driven from Indy to Chicago,
> back to Indy, and then return to Chicago in the
> same time. Driving sure beats that schedule. As
> for 50, I could have left Chicago by car headed
> straight to Washington and got there before the
> train got to Indy! I think INDOT is gonna get
> their chain yanked when it's said and done!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/14 12:14 by 1976.

Date: 08/22/14 12:52
Connections Late As Well
Author: NewRiverGeorge

Also both train 4 and 6 were over 4 hours late getting into Chicago...typically the Cardinal is the connection of last resort rather than holding up the Capitol Limited. Another factor was the weather, with some serious thunderstorms working between Chicago and Indianapolis.

Date: 08/22/14 12:56
Re: Connections Late As Well

NewRiverGeorge Wrote:
> Also both train 4 and 6 were over 4 hours late
> getting into Chicago...typically the Cardinal is
> the connection of last resort rather than holding
> up the Capitol Limited. Another factor was the
> weather, with some serious thunderstorms working
> between Chicago and Indianapolis.

It had more to do with 51 being late and then bad signals. Trust me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/14 12:57 by 1976.

Date: 08/22/14 14:07
Author: korotaj

Oh well, look on the positive side. Even though dozens of passengers are on their last train trip, the foamers on board are enjoying the extra time on the tain!

Date: 08/22/14 15:28
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

korotaj Wrote:
> Oh well, look on the positive side. Even though
> dozens of passengers are on their last train trip,

This "never again" card gets WAY overplayed on Trainorders. What is your source substantiating that 24+ pax will never travel by train again due to this delay? Not too long ago, I came in on a 8 hour late Builder and spoke to many people on the final day. Not ONE expressed this "never again" nonsense that gets perpetuated here. Just because it fits in nicely with your greater narrative doesn't make it true.

Date: 08/22/14 20:22
Author: cutboy2

Rockslides Wed. Trains turned back. Lack of crews and xtra equipment to build a train.

Date: 08/22/14 21:13

cutboy2 Wrote:
> Rockslides Wed. Trains turned back. Lack of
> crews and xtra equipment to build a train.

Crew shortage didn't cause it either. 51 turned to 50 in Chicago like it always does.

Date: 08/22/14 21:47
Author: korotaj

I personally HAVE not made about 10 trips in the last 5 years because of concerns about lateness and missed connections. I no longer use the Starlight to go to and from Los Angeles (late arrivals and depatures in the middle of the night, Chico, are really annoying) but my biggest disappointment is the Empire Builder. No longer a viable way to get to Glacier NP from CA. I used to be a big Amtrak booster, but my advice to prospective passengers is so filled with warnings that many elect not to ride. I have a lot of mileage under my belt--over 200 trips in the last 20 years on nearly every route. Many of these trips I would not for a minute consider today. I have heard "never again" many times, seen too many squabbles in the dining car because of some first time passenger who did not understand procedures and an Amtrak employee with no concept of service, seen and endured too many drunks in lounge cars,
and payed rather dearly for sleeping accomodations with hardly a glimpse of the attendant. Sorry Amtrak.

Date: 08/23/14 10:05
Author: septacarczar

According to the Amtrak delay log, which I saw on Friday morning....the above mentioned... Train 50.. arrived New York City--
737 minutes late..(12 hours and 17 minutes, behind schedule)..........

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds