Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Passenger Trains > Napa Valley Wine Train 25th Birthday!

Date: 08/31/14 14:31
Napa Valley Wine Train 25th Birthday!
Author: railwaybaron

On Sept. 16, 2014, NVWT will have its 25 anniversary run--to the day! It's keeping a low profile maybe so it doesn't stir-up the last living vintners who protested the train a quarter century ago because they feared that the vibrations of the passing trains would cause the grape roots to shrivel--in spite of the fact that the railroad pre-dated the grape industry by decades. (Or, was it because they wanted the 18 mile right-of-way deeded back to them when the line was abandoned--valued then at: $750,000 per acre?) I rode the inaugural run and ironically last night, while rummaging thru files looking for something else, I came upon my NVWT ticket stub dated: Sept. 16, 1989! Yes, I'll ride the birthday run and I urge other railfans to do so as well. Let's honor some of the heroes who saved the railroad and will be on board including the Napa Branch's last SP engineer, "Uncle Lou" Schuyler. "Uncle Lou" started the movement to keep the line open. $119 is not too much to eat the best dining car meal in America, along of some of the best rail scenery in America while witnessing history as well. Call: 1-800-427-4124 for reservations--while they last!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 19:52 by railwaybaron.

Date: 08/31/14 16:37
Re: Napa Valley Wine Train 25Th Birthday!
Author: stash

A very fine dining experience, indeed.

Just noticed they sell cab rides too. Cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/14 16:52 by stash.

Date: 08/31/14 18:22
Author: Heath_Tower

What a great place to go. Restaurants, B&B's, general amenities are first rate.

I greatly enjoyed the winery visits, and the free samples left me with a smile on my face.
My wife did the driving (she's a non drinker) so I enjoyed this responsibly...

We also visited a rural area around Calistoga where my father was stationed with a barrage
balloon (anti-aircraft) company during WW2, early in the war there was concern over Zeros
and Vals heading toward military targets in the US...

Date: 08/31/14 20:34
Author: Amtrak288

Spent 3 days in Napa last year, can't wait to go back later this year! Here's the travelogue about my experiences with this World Class Train!!!!!!

http://www.passengertrainheaven.com/travelogues/100313A/WineTrainIndex.html

Date: 09/01/14 07:21
Author: SN1005

AAHH---you should have been here August 24 at 3:20 AM.....!!!

I had to the get first run of NVRR. It rained all day......We could use some of that this Sept.....but all my house hold stuff is out in the yard...cleaning, painting, picking up.....oh my back...

Yes, things are great here.....two-way streets missed the deadline---later....

Don---Napa

Date: 09/01/14 08:43
Author: ClubCar

Does this railroad haul any freight?

Date: 09/01/14 15:37
Author: railwaybaron

I recall that the Napa Valley Railroad, the holding company that owned the track, hauled its last freight--usually winery equipment-- around 1990 or 1991. I rode several of the frights. The power was a Baldwin switcher, GE 44 Tonner or even the ex-CN/VIA FPAs. I believe
once the courts okayed the wine train, it was figured that the regulations that govern interstate haulage were too costly and/or
bothersome to comply with since the real income came from the passenger operations. I think the line is now governed under state law as an amusement ride. Does anyone know for sure? I remember firing imaginary PT boat torpedoes at errant autos on grade crossings whilst Pearl Harbor Survivor and locomotive engineer "Uncle Lou" Schuyler manned the helm of the Baldwin. Those were wonderful afternoons running the railroad in God's county!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 15:51 by railwaybaron.

Date: 09/01/14 20:26
Author: sliderslider

Here's one of the GE's in out in front of the shop I think

Date: 09/03/14 13:49
Author: groundrelay

Freight service on the NVR through the 1990's was sporadic, but increased in the early 2000's when a producer of building interior construction materials and a supplier of vineyard stake/trellis apparatus located in the old Coors beer warehouse off California Blvd-Union Station. Soon boxcars were being spotted regularly by the crews using NVR's ex-Espee RS-11 #62 (named after former Supt. Operations Ralph Jachens).These industries became casualties of the recession of 2008 and freight service has reverted back to occasionally. Happy 25th to the NVWT and their crews and employees! It's been quite a ride! Cheers, Fergie

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds