Home Open Account Help 149 users online

Passenger Trains > 91 (12) at Commercial Blvd, Fort Lauderdale

Date: 09/13/14 15:49
91 (12) at Commercial Blvd, Fort Lauderdale
Author: RevRandy

had a chance in the middle of a consultation to catch the Star, down about 1.5 hours, getting towards the end of its run.

if you need to stay in the Fort Lauderdale area, Universal Palms Hotel on PowerLine at Commercial is a good buy - clean, easy to find, and the whole backside looks out on TriRail and Amtrak. With the crossing nearby will get plenty of horns tonight!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/13/14 16:00
Re: 91 (12) at Commercial Blvd, Fort Lauderdale
Author: goneon66

nice video. thanks........

Date: 09/13/14 19:28
Author: DFWJIM

I have always wondered why the Silvers always have the baggage car on the rear.

Date: 09/14/14 09:28
Author: chess

DFWJIM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have always wondered why the Silvers always have
> the baggage car on the rear.

Basically all eastern long distance trains have the baggage car on the rear. According to Amtrak, it gives a slightly smoother ride for the sleeping car passengers in the back of the train. In theory, trains traveling down the track sort of act like a whip, and so supposedly the baggage car lessens this a bit..I ride the Meteor/Star several times a year and to be honest, the only difference I have noticed compared to when the sleepers were up front, is the lack of horn noise, for obvious reasons. Otherwise, the ride seems to be about the same...

Date: 09/14/14 20:19
Author: RevRandy

I agree about the ride being about the same with the sleepers front or back, but that is with the baggage on the rear behind the sleepers on the rear.

However, I do find the baggage attenuates the motion . . . riding a rear sleeper, especially in higher numbered rooms, without the baggage car makes for a wilder ride (not to mention showering at speed on the NEC in such a configuration).

However, it is not "always" the consist with sleepers rear - last year one of my trips on 92 had the sleepers forward because I remember the walk from the Miami station all the way up to the sleepers, passing all the coaches in the process. But the baggage was on the rear behind the coaches.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0353 seconds