Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Passenger Trains > Amfleet Car Top Speeds (And Others)...and PVs on NEC

Date: 09/17/14 07:01
Amfleet Car Top Speeds (And Others)...and PVs on NEC
Author: Red

As I recall, Amfleet I & II Cars are both rated for 125 MPH ops? Which allowed them for years to be the fastest trains along the NEC behind AEM-7s? As are the GS-70 trucked Horizon Fleet Cars, etc. (I think that the Superliner I & IIs are rated for 110 MPH). As were the Heritage Fleet Cars that the Viewliner IIs are replacing on the NEC.

So, it takes a PV to be rated 110 MPH to be "Amtrak-Certified." (Along with a lot of other things). But once all AMTK trains on the NEC are 125-MPH capable, I wonder what the deal will be for PV operators on the NEC? My bet is that they will have to simply gather up enough cars for a full special to run at 110 MPH and that AMTK isn't going to restrict a regularly-scheduled train on the NEC from 125 down to 110 MPH due to 1, 2, or 5 PVs on the rear?

I guess that I have several questions in here...but the main point of asking was the future of PVs on the NEC. I think that I already know the answer.

Date: 09/17/14 07:19
Re: Amfleet Car Top Speeds (And Others)...and PVs on NE
Author: SR2

Isn't a car with 6 wheel trucks restricted to 105 already
due to the hotbox detectors not being able to read three
axles so close together at higher speeds?

Date: 09/17/14 07:32
Author: swiftstream

Some PVs are approved for 110, others for only 90. I think the viewliners are 110, so any train with viewliners will still be able to accomodate PVs. All long distance trains, in other words. 66/67 overnight have such a slow schedule already, with lengthy dwell times, that I can easily see Amtrak deciding to keep it a 110 mph train to accommodate PVs. But you never know...

Date: 09/17/14 07:33
Author: px320

There are several 6 axle cars rated for 110 mph. 125 is yet to be determined for PV's.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/17/14 07:53
Author: bandob

"...but the main point of asking was the future of PVs on the NEC. I think that I already know the answer."

The future is now. NEC PV trips are limited to the trains that carry baggage cars and thus do not have 125 mph speed.

B&OB

Date: 09/17/14 08:59
Author: knotch8

A friend told me that Amfleet, Horizon and Metroliner cab cars are authorized to move at 125 mph. All Viewliners and Heritage equipment, which includes baggage cars, is authorized for 110 mph. Superliners are authorized for 100 mph.

Date: 09/17/14 09:36
Author: NGotwalt

Yeah, the Viewliners are rated for 125mph, but currently are only certified for 110mph, which is the highest rated speed for heritage equipment. When all heritage cars are phased out, Viewliners will be raised to 125mph.
Cheers,
Nick

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/17/14 10:28
Author: knotch8

Fascinating. Viewliners are kept to 110 even though they're capable of 125, but the Amfleet-II cars can run at 125, but typically operate in trains with baggage cars, keeping them to 110.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/14 10:28 by knotch8.

Date: 09/17/14 11:34
Author: TorchLake

px320 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are several 6 axle cars rated for 110 mph.
> 125 is yet to be determined for PV's.
>
> Posted from Android

There is one 125 mph PV. DOTX 216, aka 800718.

TL

Date: 09/17/14 12:06
Author: Red

bandob Wrote:
> "...but the main point of asking was the future of
> PVs on the NEC. I think that I already know the
> answer."
>
> The future is now. NEC PV trips are limited to the
> trains that carry baggage cars and thus do not
> have 125 mph speed.
>
> B&OB

These days shall be over soon with the Amfleet, Viewliner Is & IIs rated for 125 MPH (and Viewliner IIs soon to be "certified" for such). Thus my question: what of PVs on the NEC?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/14 21:03 by Red.

Date: 09/19/14 14:04
Author: agentatascadero

Red and I are friends, and I think what spurred him to start this thread is his concern that I may not, in the future, be able to replicate my great ride aboard Tioga Pass on the NEC in 2012. Must admit it was exceedingly cool to watch the speedometer in the rear lounge touch 113 MPH as we sailed along the corridor. Regards Red's concern.....one could still get to DC, New York City, Boston, and Philly without travel on the NEC, and I do believe these are the primary destinations anyway, not to mention the limitations on switching at intermediate points. So, while PV travel on the NEC is certainly desirable, it may not be so necessary after all. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/22/14 06:55
Author: silvercomet

If the rule is still in effect (last time I checked it still was) 3 axle truck cars are indeed restrixcted to 100mph through hot box detectors on the NEC. But that is DIFFERENT than saying the cars are restricted. There are class "A" Heavyweight 3 axle truck cars such as the Dover Harbor http://www.doverharbor.com that are rated for 110 mph. There are other heavyweights that due to bolted pedestal trucks and certain swing hangar designs are restricted to 90mph.

Date: 09/23/14 07:53
Author: chs7-321

Red Wrote:
> bandob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "...but the main point of asking was the future
> of
> > PVs on the NEC. I think that I already know the
> > answer."
> >
> > The future is now. NEC PV trips are limited to
> the
> > trains that carry baggage cars and thus do not
> > have 125 mph speed.
> >
> > B&OB
>
> These days shall be over soon with the Amfleet,
> Viewliner Is & IIs rated for 125 MPH (and
> Viewliner IIs soon to be "certified" for such).
> Thus my question: what of PVs on the NEC?

While soon LDT consists might be CERTIFIED for 125, I really don't see a strong case for changing the timetables. NY-Washington it might save what, 30 minutes? Not a factor for LDT travel patterns.

It's not like the whole line is 125 its entire length. There are enough restrictions as it is to warrant keeping LDT's to 110 in the timetable. 125 might come in useful for catching up in case of lateness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/14 07:54 by chs7-321.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0959 seconds