Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Passenger Trains > Newport News vs Williamsburg question

Date: 09/19/14 09:58
Newport News vs Williamsburg question
Author: rfprr1

I'll be riding the Dover Harbor out of Washington DC in October on the back of
Amtrak trains. Layover options are either Williamsburg or Newport News. Having
never been to either locale, I'd like to know if one is better than the other as
far as having things to see/do within close proximity of the train stations.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

rfprr

Date: 09/19/14 10:06
Re: Newport News vs Williamsburg question
Author: kd0r

rfprr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll be riding the Dover Harbor out of Washington
> DC in October on the back of
> Amtrak trains. Layover options are either
> Williamsburg or Newport News. Having
> never been to either locale, I'd like to know if
> one is better than the other as
> far as having things to see/do within close
> proximity of the train stations.

Though there is a park fairly close to the Newport News Depot, there's really not much to do in that area. Williamsburg is a much smaller city and it's packed with stuff to do. Colonial Williamsburg is not all that far away. Busch Gardens is certainly beyond walking distance but not that long a cab ride.

Easy summary: Newport News is industrial middle class. Williamsburg is tourist, upper middle class.

David

Date: 09/19/14 10:42
Author: RevRandy

As a former resident of Tidewater VA (8 years in Williamsburg, several trips annually back there), I would recommend Williamsburg. Newport News has several items of interest (Mariner's Museum, etc.) but none of which are available within easy walking distance.

By contrast, all of Colonial Williamsburg is within a few blocks of the train station, which is also the hub for the regional bus lines and intercity bus. It is a beautifully restored C&O station that will feel very comfortable for arriving and departing. There are also many eating places, of varying prices, in the same area around the station (for lunch, I recommend a sandwich and beverage at the Cheese Shop and sit outside to watch the people strolling on Duke of Gloucester Street (DOG street). For libations, DOG Street Tavern.

Enjopy!

Date: 09/19/14 11:16
Author: hsr_fan

Agree, Williamsburg hands down. As a current resident, I don't find much reason to ever head over to the ugly industrial/commercial sprawl of Newport News if I don't have to. :)

Posted from Android

Date: 09/19/14 15:32
Author: Rail4Life

Stay in Williamsburg. Also dont forget to hit Captain Georges Seafood Buffet.Real Good Food.

Date: 09/19/14 19:40
Author: kpcmcpkva

Williamsburg, hands down!! The restored area is only a few blocks from the station and is open for strolling and viewing. You can enter any of the restored shops or restaurants where they have something to sell. You will need a ticket/pass to enter the capitol, governor's palace and other restored sites. Merchants Square, modern retail area, transitions you between the restored area and the original campus of William and Mary college and the contemporary city of Williamsburg. Very, Very walkable, impressive and worth the time.

Date: 09/20/14 00:55
Author: ClubCar

Go to Williamsburg as everyone else has stated. Enjoy your ride on the Dover too; it's a really nice passenger car.

Date: 09/20/14 16:46
Author: rfprr1

Thanks for all your advice guys. Williamsburg it shall be.

rfprr

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1584 seconds