Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Passenger Trains > Miami Florida Amtrak Station

Date: 09/19/14 17:07
Miami Florida Amtrak Station
Author: UP3806

It's my understanding that Amtrak will move to a new station in Miami sometime in the near future. If anyone has information as to the date when this will occur it would be very welcome. We will be taking the Silver Meteor from DC to Miami in mid Fbruary.
Thanks in advance.

Tom

Date: 09/19/14 20:26
Re: Miami Florida Amtrak Station
Author: RevRandy

I have been trying to get this information out of the Miami Central Station people for months now, and they will not respond.

Local blogs and news sources say it will open Fall 2014 (which is soon upon us). I eagerly await its opening because it will make travel to/from the Keys so much easier.

Date: 09/20/14 11:13
Author: WillRan

The tracks have been for awhile. From a distance the station looks complete. However since TriRail has not moved back, there may be finishing work on the inside.

TriRail was "temporary" moved from their Miami Airport station at the new Miami Central station site in September 2011 for a "two year" period. This was said to save 21 months of construction time and $10 million!! TriRail has been using the next nearest station and busing passengers to the Miami Airport.

Other threads recount the saga of Amtrak coming forward, well in to construction and announcing the platforms would not be long enough to accommodate its trains at certain times. Trouble was the end of the constructed platforms stop just shy of a busy connector street which a train longer than the built platforms would block traffic on.

The last solution in the press was to build another crossing, two blocks further away and connecting streets. Signs would direct traffic on the blocked street to the open crossing when a long Amtrak train would block that street. As of now, this solution is not visible on the ground.

The surface rail part of the multimodal project is so late that they seem to avoid making any statements to avoid embarrassment.

Date: 12/16/14 13:21
Author: Lackawanna484

How's this project coming along?

The website says rail service will begin "sometime in 2014" which doesn't leave much additional time. It also says that 3/4 of the cost of this project was funded via a local sales tax surcharge of a half penny, and by user fees.

http://www.miami-airport.com/cip_miami_central_station.asp

Date: 12/17/14 03:12
Author: sums007

I was through there looking recently, and everything looks ready to go at the platforms. There were workers doing some signal and switch work at the throat of the station. IIRC, it's a 4-track terminal, and you can connect to Metrorail to get downtown and further south [Dadeland].

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0365 seconds