Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Passenger Trains > Englewood (Chicago) Flyover Dedication October 23

Date: 10/16/14 14:25
Englewood (Chicago) Flyover Dedication October 23
Author: illini73

Formal dedication of the Englewood Flyover (already in use for a couple of weeks now) will take place on October 23. NS, Metra and State of Illinois officials will participate. The Flyover (CREATE Project P01) eliminates conflicts between NS Chicago Line freight trains and Metra Rock Island District suburban trains, ending the rush-hour curfew on NS freight movements to/from 51st/55th St. yards and points north.

Link to Progressive Railroading article that also covers progress on the EIS for the 75th St. Corridor CREATE projects:

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/mow/news/CREATE-program-75th-Street-project-moves-forward-Englewood-Flyover-nears-dedication--42251?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/14 14:26 by illini73.

Date: 10/17/14 07:03
Re: Englewood (Chicago) Flyover Dedication October 23
Author: navy5717th

Are there any pictures of the Flyover (or vicinity) ?

Thanks,

Fritz in HSV, AL

Date: 10/18/14 09:44
Author: NewRiverGeorge

There were some photos posted on the passenger board a month or so ago, September 22 I believe.

Date: 10/18/14 17:49
Author: Englewood

"The $133 million project — which began in October 2011 — involved the construction of a triple-track bridge in Englewood, Ill., to carry three of Metra’s Rock Island District Line tracks over four NS tracks."

Apparently no fact checking in the trade press. There are only two tracks on the "flyover" although there will be space for an additional track; Englewood is a neighborhood of Chicago not a city of its own; the flyover crosses three NS tracks (unless they have done some recent work that I am not aware of).

Anyone know if the dedication will be open to the public? Englewood would like to attend. I spent a few years up in the 100 lever tower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/14 04:54 by Englewood.

Date: 10/19/14 06:43
Author: filmteknik

Is the foundation of Englewood Union Station still there?

Date: 10/19/14 09:33
Author: Englewood

filmteknik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the foundation of Englewood Union Station still
> there?

I don't think so. Looking at Google Earth seems to confirm that.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds