Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Passenger Trains > Questions Questions Questions

Date: 10/21/14 16:23
Questions Questions Questions
Author: kdrtrains

I always enjoy reading your opinions regarding the California High Speed Rail and the X train as they are most amusing. So I have several questions for you "professionals".

First question, What is the difference between the CHSR and the X Train projects other than location and destinations?

Second question, If the X Train group were given 80 billion in tax payer guaranteed loans (like Solyndra) would their project come about?

KR

Date: 10/21/14 17:59
Re: Questions Questions Questions
Author: dcfbalcoS1

2nd question, answer is NO and they couldn't find the money 15 minutes later either. Computer system would have suffered a mysterious meltdown just before that, all data missing. As with any situation like this in America, they ( whoever 'they' is ) would appologize though and really feel bad.

Date: 10/21/14 18:03
Author: DavidP

CHSRA is a public authority that has begun building a purpose built, high speed network in CA. X-Train is a private company that has proposed running conventional passenger service over BNSF and UP lines from Orange Country to Las Vegas. You may be confusing them with XpressWest, formerly DesertXpress, a company that has proposed building and operating a high speed line from Victorville, CA to Vegas, and applied for an FRA loan to fund construction. As for X-Train, if they were loaned the $80B you mention, or even the $535M that Solyndra actually got, they would probably be running by now. Of course, as with Solyndra, there's no guarantee that they could pay the loan back.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/14 18:04 by DavidP.

Date: 10/21/14 21:31
Author: ts1457

If CAHSR had chosen to start with LA - Bakersfield, a truly useful segment, instead of the doomed to failure nowhere to nowhere line, DesertXpress likely would be turning dirt right now:

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-03/california-rail-project-pursues-deal-with-las-vegas-train.html

Date: 10/21/14 22:34
Author: MojaveBill

They picked the first section because it is straight and fast - Santa Fe was running trains at 100-plus there in the late 1930s. It's a great place to test equipment. When the freeways were built they began small and were eventually connected, as was the California aqueduct.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 10/22/14 00:19

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They picked the first section because it is
> straight and fast - Santa Fe was running trains at
> 100-plus there in the late 1930s. It's a great
> place to test equipment. When the freeways were
> built they began small and were eventually
> connected, as was the California aqueduct.

and that was a complete B___S___ argument. California will get its Cincinnati Subway not running between Nowhere and Nowhere.

Date: 10/22/14 07:25
Author: jkchubbes

The valley is the cheapest and easiest portion to build, it also allows for use as a "Test track" until the full route is built.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/22/14 07:30

jkchubbes Wrote:
> The valley is the cheapest and easiest portion to
> build, it also allows for use as a "Test track"
> until the full route is built.
>
> Posted from Android

The point is that the full route won't be built because Nowhere to Nowhere will be a complete failure.

Is a test track worth that much to you?

Date: 10/22/14 10:10
Author: navy5717th

jkchubbes Wrote:
> The valley is the cheapest and easiest portion to
> build, it also allows for use as a "Test track"
> until the full route is built.
>
> Posted from Android

This reminded me of the story about a drunk that a cop found crawling around under a streetlight.

The cop asked him what he was doing.

He said: "Offisher, I wash tryin' to unlock my car dore an' I dropped the keys, so I'm lookin' fer 'em."

The cop asked: "Well your car's not here. Where is it?"

The drunk pointed down the street.

The cop said: "Well why aren't you looking for your keys down there?"

The drunk replied: "Becaush the light's mush better here, offisher…"

On the one hand, starting the HSR between Nowhere and Somewhere Else will be easier to build -- but the testing can drag out a lot longer (simply because it's there) to finally demonstrate its unfeasibility.

On the other hand, the much-more-difficult-to-build LA-Bakersfield segment would prove that it's not going to work -- in much less time.

Just sayin'

Fritz in HSV, AL

Date: 10/22/14 12:21
Author: Realist

Isn't there already a high-speed test track at the TTC in Colorado?

Date: 10/23/14 08:29
Author: 3751_loony

Also, Federal stimulus money stated the construction had to start in the Central Valley. If you take money for a project, you have to follow their rules.

Jim Montague
IRVINE, CA
Train and Nature photo Art

Date: 10/24/14 13:23

3751_loony Wrote:
> Also, Federal stimulus money stated the
> construction had to start in the Central Valley.
> If you take money for a project, you have to
> follow their rules.

I don't care if the Feds made the initial location decision, it still is a stupid decision.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0621 seconds