Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Passenger Trains > Denver RTD EMU delivered

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/22/14 04:46
Denver RTD EMU delivered
Author: cozephyr

From RTD....

The Regional Transportation District (RTD) is preparing to show off its newest rail cars – the commuter rail vehicles that will run on four FasTracks rail lines currently under construction. RTD has purchased 66 vehicles to serve the East Rail Line to Denver International Airport, the Northwest Rail Line to Westminster, the Gold Line to Arvada/Wheat Ridge and the North Metro Rail Line to Thornton. The commuter rail cars are larger than light rail cars, travel at faster speeds and carry more people. They also have luggage space, bike racks and level boarding.

Plan now to attend an open house at Union Station and be one of the first in town to experience these new rail cars:

Dec. 3-6 (Wednesday through Saturday) between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.

If you're planning to attend the Parade of Lights, bring the family out a little early and tour the new rail cars.

BNSF delivered four EMU cars; RTDX 4001–4004, to Denver Union Station track one November 21, 2014.

Date: 11/22/14 05:05
Re: Denver RTD EMU delivered
Author: cutboy2

Wow! Real progress in a purple state.

Date: 11/22/14 05:21
Author: 3rd_Raton

There's three things missing from that picture .....

Catenary poles, wires and insulators. Open house will involve walking through dead EMU's I guess. I would have figured, now that track work is done, they would have had Union Station wired by now.

Date: 11/22/14 06:45
Author: prr60

I'm certain that the provisions for supporting the structures and catenary is already in place at Union Station, but I can't see them. I was there last summer, and could not see anything that seemed like catenary support. I wonder if they're planning something "unusual" to match the style of the trainshed. Somehow I doubt the architects of the station project want plain, galvanized steel poles sullying-up their artistic "vision."

The 25kV feeder system and utility supply may still be a work in progress. Plus extensive system protection and control testing is required before energizing. The catenary is installed out by the airport (saw it last weekend through the zero degree temps and snow). Even where it's up, it's probably just wires with no juice.

I also wonder why these cars were delivered by freight? It would seem that tacking them on the end of Amtrak's Cardinal and Zephyr would have gotten them there in days, not weeks. Cost? Some operational issue?

Date: 11/22/14 06:53
Author: joemvcnj

I doubt their brakes are compatible with that of a conventional passenger train. The couplers require an adapter for anything.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/22/14 07:49
Author: bobgfla

who made the cars??

Date: 11/22/14 08:20
Author: chuchubob

bobgfla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> who made the cars??

Hyundai-Rotem

Date: 11/22/14 09:01
Author: dan

Date: 11/22/14 10:13
Author: DavidMKetchum

From the photos post by RTD the EMU's appear to have been connected thru an "idler" flat to a regular freight train.

Date: 11/22/14 10:21
Author: joemvcnj

I suppose they could have been tested where there is 60 cycle 25kV catenary in parts of the Northeast, but I doubt that happened, or we would have heard about it.

Date: 11/22/14 13:30
Author: BDPerry

dan Wrote:
> http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/ep3_60

I went to that site and viewed the video showing the car interiors. Glad to see the 2+2 seating.

In June 2011 Fastracks had a mockup of their proposed commuter rail car on display at Denver Union Station. The cars featured 3+2 seating as shown in the photo below.

Bruce Perry
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 11/22/14 17:05
Author: GPutz

Four of the cars were on the rear of w/b CSXT Q373 (Philadelphia, PA, to Cumberland, MD) at Shenandoah Junction, WV, 11/6/14. Gerry

Date: 11/22/14 17:45

same four cars that is all we have so far

Date: 11/22/14 21:55
Author: Mgoldman

Surprised no one made reference to the fact that these cars are the very
same cars that are in use in Philadelphia on SEPTA.

SEPTA "Silverliner V" cars at Levittown, PA on Nov 2nd, 2014.

/Mitch

Date: 11/22/14 22:34
Author: hsr_fan

Almost the same. I find it odd that Denver modified the design to be high level only. They could've kept the traps just in case...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/14 22:35 by hsr_fan.

Date: 11/23/14 00:20
Author: Abqfoamer

High level platform-only design permits fast access/egress for high volume use such as in subways. Denver must think hordes of time-strapped commuters will jam these cars.
Maybe for DIA trips it makes sense.
I would have followed SEPTA's inclusion of trap steps, to service future route extensions using lower-cost, not so busy ground level stations.
Denver now joins 22 existing US commuter lines.

Date: 11/23/14 03:08

think suitcases, with Ada and all just makes sense to go hi level , on a new line with no freight, with 11 or so new stations easiest way for mobility impaired folks.

Date: 11/23/14 05:47
Author: tmurray

The system was likely designed after the new ADA compliance rules were written into the law. SunRail has door-level platforms, and this system would fall into the same category. SEPTA's system predates the law by some decades, requiring traps.

Date: 11/23/14 12:16
Author: DTrainshooter

It will really be nice to have a way to get from DIA to downtown Denver by rail!

Date: 11/23/14 20:46
Author: abyler

Abqfoamer Wrote:
> High level platform-only design permits fast
> access/egress for high volume use such as in
> subways. Denver must think hordes of time-strapped
> commuters will jam these cars.
> Maybe for DIA trips it makes sense.
> I would have followed SEPTA's inclusion of trap
> steps, to service future route extensions using
> lower-cost, not so busy ground level stations.
> Denver now joins 22 existing US commuter lines.

Lower cost illegal non-compliant with ADA stations?

Those will NEVER be built. You need to readjust your thinking.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0697 seconds