Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Passenger Trains > Terminal Town display at Chicago Union Station

Date: 11/22/14 15:12
Terminal Town display at Chicago Union Station
Author: mp51w

A large multi-panel display has been put up in the hallway leading from the great hall to the lower concourse. It has some nice photos and short history of the main train terminals in downtown Chicago. Also several panels on the airports and bus terminals. It's promotion for a new book by Joseph P. Schwieterman called Terminal Town. There is a quiz sheet next to the display in which you can answer all the questions, easy for most TO members, and win a prize.

Date: 11/22/14 17:26
Re: Terminal Town display at Chicago Union Station
Author: AndyBrown

Looks really neat! Hopefully it'll be there for a while, at least until my next trip to Chicago...

Andy

Date: 11/22/14 19:10
Author: MartyBernard

The author of Terminal Town: An Illustrated Guide to Chicago's Airports, Bus Depots, Train Stations, and Steamship Landings, 1939 - Present, Joseph P. Schwieterman, is a professor at DePaul University. He is definitely a student of transportation in the Chicago Metropolitan Area which includes northwestern Indiana. The almost 300 page book is highly illustrated with maps of passenger terminal locations and photographs of each Chicago metro-area terminal. Each terminal receives a few pages of history, current operations, and illustrations. Terminal Town is one of those books that you know was a labor of love for the author. It is a comprehensive guide! Even if you grew up in Chicagoland like I did, you are going to learn alot from the book.

The posters in Union Station are pages from the book.

Disclosure: One day a couple of years ago the author contacted me about using several of my photographs in his book. I, of course, said yes and rescanned them at high resolution. I have never met Prof. Schwieterman, but he sure seems like an interesting guy.

Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/14 19:50 by MartyBernard.

Date: 11/22/14 20:05
Author: IC_2024

Thanks, mp51w! Are you there for blockhead training? Wish I could be there and enjoy a "green line" w/ you?

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds