Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Passenger Trains > Capitol Limited Limited Again

Date: 12/13/14 19:37
Capitol Limited Limited Again
Author: railaddict

Starting January 12, through most of February the Capitol Limited will again be reduced in size and service. May well prove to be a one-engine, 5 car train, as it was last fall for a while. A Cross Country Café will serve as a diner/lounge. Last fall the baggage car, dorm car, diner, Sightseer Lounge were all be removed. Amtrak has an advisory for reservation dates on Amtrak.com.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/14 11:37 by railaddict.

Date: 12/13/14 20:05
Re: Capital Limited Limited Again
Author: mp109

This probably means that passengers connecting to or from the Pennsylvanians will be getting "sold out"
messages when trying to make reservations, even though seats would be available be if they would going
past Pittsburgh!

Date: 12/13/14 20:34
Re: Capitol Limited Limited Again
Author: RuleG

The end date of the reduced consist is February 28, 2015 according to information which popped up when I looked at Capitol Limited fares.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/14 05:27 by RuleG.

Date: 12/13/14 20:41
Author: ProAmtrak

What's the reason for this anyway

Posted from Android

Date: 12/14/14 07:21
Author: floridajoe2001

I'd also like to know Amtrak's reasoning for this.

What I'd really like to know is whether this is an Amtrak decision; or is it being forced on them by some failure of the Host railroads.

Joe

Date: 12/14/14 07:40
Author: Jishnu

Most likely it is to find a window in which they can cycle more Superliners through maintenance so that more than the normal can be deployed in the higher traffic months of the summer, by taking fewer cars than normal off line for maintenance during that period. Just a speculation. At least that would a logical reason for doing something like this.

Date: 12/14/14 08:13
Author: Lackawanna484

Jishnu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most likely it is to find a window in which they
> can cycle more Superliners through maintenance so
> that more than the normal can be deployed in the
> higher traffic months of the summer, by taking
> fewer cars than normal off line for maintenance
> during that period. Just a speculation. At least
> that would a logical reason for doing something
> like this.

Certainly possible. Any idea how long it takes to run a Superliner through maintenance?

It would be great if Amtrak could borrow / lease a full set or two of Via equipment during Canada's off-season. That would allow Amtrak to cycle even more equipment through maintenance over several months. Or until peak season kicks in for Auto-Train.

Date: 12/14/14 09:10
Author: Jishnu

VIA LD fleet cannot be used into New york, since their holding tanks foul third rails in third rail territory. That is why the VIA consists on Adirondack did not run to New York. When they ran a change was involved in Albany.

Running borrowed non-standard equipment on reserved routes involving sleepers would create a havoc with reservations too. So it is not gonna happen, is my fearless prediction.

Date: 12/14/14 13:12
Author: ts1457

Probably a profit maximizing move (OK - loss minimizing). Volume is down. Reduce capacity to keep passengers in the high bucket while minimizing your operating cost.

Date: 12/14/14 15:55
Author: ffrailey

I strongly suspect this has something to do with Antrak's winter plan. Gives them the flexibility to go back to four consists if winter gets ugly. The Capitol was chasing its tail in Sept-Oct.

Fred

Date: 12/14/14 18:33
Author: jp1822

ffrailey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I strongly suspect this has something to do with
> Antrak's winter plan. Gives them the flexibility
> to go back to four consists if winter gets ugly.
> The Capitol was chasing its tail in Sept-Oct.
>
> Fred

Four consists are completely not necessary. Amtrak could do a "rob Peter to pay Paul" scenario if needed in Chicago on days that the Capitol may have a tight turn (e.g. making the Southwest Chief a run-through). Towards the end of Gunn's administration, Amtrak was toying with a schedule that would have allowed for only two Capitol Limited train sets. If timed correctly and if schedules were reasonably adhered to, it could work. The Lake Shore Limited operated with two train sets before the Empire connection was opened into NYP.

I really hate to say this, but Amtrak has "dumbed" down consist usage of long distance train sets. Warrington had a descent idea with the Southwest Chief-Capitol Limited run-through. Having a Florida train not timed to do a same day turn is also limiting Viewliner sleeper usage, as Amtrak could re-deploy the Viewliner sleepers on other routes to gain additional revenue.

And if Amtrak can mix and mingle staff with passengers for three or so months out of the year - might as well go for it for the entire year, with the Superliner Dorm/Sleeper. These cars should be "shopped" and transformed so they can handle additional revenue sleepers if demand calls for it. LOT of roomettes up there in this car (more sleeping space than any Viewliner or Superliner), considering Amtrak has reduced onboard staff - and believe me I am all for a separate car to handle the crew if the numbers could support it.

Hopefully Superliner car maintenance is being carried out and this is purely just not some cost cutting measure. Booking on some long distance Western long hauls - even in winter months - can be challenging.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds