Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Passenger Trains > Southwest Chief Starlight connection

Date: 12/15/14 08:54
Southwest Chief Starlight connection
Author: korotaj

For passengers westbound wishing to connect with Starlight at Los Angeles there is about a two hour layover. I have done this successfully several times and once the Southwest Chief was very late (high winds in Kansas) so we could not make the connection. On one trip we arrived really early so only problem was a longer wait. From the late Southwest Chief we took an Amtrak bus from Barstow to Bakersfield and then onto a San Joaquin going north. Some passengers reconnected with the Starlight at Sacramento, to continue their journey north. For me that was the end of my trip, and I was home near Chico earlier than expected! My question is this: how is Amtrak dealing with those wishing to make the connection in the event of a late Southwest Chief arrival in Los Angeles? Any recent experiences? Is the concept of a guaranteed connection still operable?

Date: 12/15/14 09:06
Re: Southwest Chief Starlight connection
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

We can back into this question from its answer - Yes, the #3/#14 connection is guaranteed. The option Amtrak decides upon in IRROPS is primarily a function of how late the train is running. They may hold the Starlight if the delay is not onerous, or they may pull pax off and bustitute them as you prescribed to "catch up" with the Starlight. Those are the two prevailing solutions to connecting pax on a very late #3.

Date: 12/15/14 10:18
Author: bobs

I was on the Chief on 9/30 and we were running late. We were told that the Starlight would be held provided we did not lose any more time, and in fact the Starlight was held for about 30 minutes for us that day.

Date: 12/15/14 11:43
Author: LiveWire

Hope they keep the guaranteed connection at least a few more months. Would like to do a Chicago-Portland trip in a bedroom on Guest Rewards points, and with a connection in the computer I can do it the long way without two bookings.

Date: 12/15/14 13:13
Author: The_Chief_Way

Anyone who positively absolutely wants to ride the Starlight north needs to book an overnight stay
in LAX. The Starlight will be held for awhile, but otherwise you're going to bused to Bakersfield
for the next San Joaquin or be put on a charted bus at Barstow to catch the last Joaquin at Bakersfield
if you're "super" late.

Date: 12/15/14 14:48
Author: rollo1969

Is there still a motel across the street from LAX?

Date: 12/15/14 16:51
Author: zuchrew

The Metro Plaza Hotel is an easy three block walk from Union Station. Current rooms rates are about $100, with a breakfast. People have told me the rooms, while not a four-star facility, a clean and adequate for the short stay.

Date: 12/15/14 16:59
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

zuchrew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Metro Plaza Hotel is an easy three block walk
> from Union Station. Current rooms rates are about
> $100, with a breakfast. People have told me the
> rooms, while not a four-star facility, a clean and
> adequate for the short stay.

Another option, for about the same cost, is to use Hotwire for a 4-Star in downtown Los Angeles. It will frequently put you in the Westin Bonaventure which is a bargain for that price. You would have to spring for a cab to/from the hotel, but the rides are short.

Date: 12/15/14 18:27
Author: wa4umr

zuchrew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Metro Plaza Hotel is an easy three block walk
> from Union Station. Current rooms rates are about
> $100, with a breakfast. People have told me the
> rooms, while not a four-star facility, a clean and
> adequate for the short stay.

I stayed there a few years ago and I would agree. Nothing great. I stayed one night. Just needed a place to take a shower and sleep. Only complaint was the lousy color on the TV. The room was small but clean. Front desk people were friendly. It's about 2 1/2 to 3 block walk from the station.

John

Date: 12/15/14 19:08
Author: korotaj

I have stayed at Metro Plaza dozens of times since 1993. Nothing great but the location is close to perfect for rail passengers and those without cars who will be using public transportation to get around. Lot's of nice places to eat with a short walk: Olvera St for Mexican, Chinatown, and Little Tokyo for Asian. And then there is "----------- the Original" about a 3 min walk away! A foamer favorite and Los Angeles institution. With the magnificant RR model showcase in the backroom! With the Gold line it is easy to get to Pasadena and all it has to offer. Dash downtown shuttle and Big Blue Bus to Santa Monica are a few minutes walk away. Never had a problem at Metro Plaza and rates are always good. Another hotel close by that I like is the Miyako on 1st in Little Tokyo. More expensive but still easy to get to. Very nice.

Date: 12/15/14 19:28
Southwest Chief Starlight connection
Author: jp1822

Left 3.5 late out of ABQ heading westbound back in September, and we arrived into LA at 9:30 am. Train has a lot of padding - as I found out from the CA border on into LA. We saw a lot of Cajon Pass during breakfast - and a full breakfast was served, as opposed to an abbreviated one. That was in total contrast to a CA Zephyr trip I had to take a little over a month later and we got an abbreviated LUNCH (two options were offered) despite being on-time over Donner Pass and on into Sacramento for a 45 minute early arrival into Emeryville. Those bound for the Bay Area would have appreciated a full menu lunch but was had absolutely one of the worst dining crews. There motto - "get'em in and get'em out, and lets hope we don't get coach passengers." I was a sleeper passenger for both trips.

As an aside, the SWC dining crew was awesome. The LSA found that the milk was sour and also needed some extra supplies, so she called ahead to LaJunta (service stop) to get re-supplied (the OLD-FASHIONED way!). But she had to save the empty milk bottles to prove to someone in LAX that they were indeed sour. That was even after I (and others) offered to give her a letter supporting the fact.

People would have been left without milk for the next three breakfast meals if the LSA hadn't done that. No way would the Zephyr crew had done that.

I've also seen Amtrak bus SWC passengers from Riverside (or Barstow) to like Van Nuys. The buss connection between LA and the San Joaquin is also popular!

Date: 12/15/14 22:19
Author: ProAmtrak

Most of the time no. 3 gets into LA with that connection to 14 most of the time and I also missed my connection back I'm March, but the advice to lay over doesn't hold water when you got an 80-90% guarantee on making it!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds