Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Passenger Trains > PCCs still in operation

Date: 12/15/14 22:04
PCCs still in operation
Author: wzd

Other than San Francisco and Kenosha, where are PCCs operating in regular service in the US?

Date: 12/15/14 22:12
Re: PCCs still in operation
Author: 2720

San Diego, Ca.!

One restored PCC runs Tuesday,
Thursday and Saturday and Sunday.

More to come I understand!

Runs the Silver Line loop around
downtown San Diego.

Mike

Date: 12/16/14 08:32
Author: timecruncher

Outstanding photos, Chris, as always!

I have to ask what camera you're using? Any camera that can make Boston and Philadelphia look that good in any weather has got to be a good piece of equipment!

timecruncher

Date: 12/16/14 12:52
Author: march_hare

Seriously, the MBTA Mattapan shuttle is one of the most photogenic transit operations I know of.

Date: 12/16/14 14:03
Author: F40PHR231

timecruncher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to ask what camera you're using?

For these pics, it would have been a Nikon D300. Have more coverage of a full trip between Washington DC and Boston, starting with the last leg since it has links to the rest of the segments-- http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,2510842

I agree the Mattapan is scenic and an interesting operation in itself. Glad it's still around.

Date: 12/16/14 19:09
Author: wzd

Those are some great photos. When did Philly restore their PCC service? When I was there in 2003, I don't think there were any operating. Are they all Philadelphia cars that had been in storage?

Thanks,
Bill

Date: 12/16/14 19:42
Author: RuleG

F40PHR231 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Here's Philadelphia's PCC in action. The neat
> thing about riding PCCs in Philly and Boston is
> they aren't tourist magnets like the ones in San
> Francisco.

Last month I rode the Muni F Line trolleys several times during a vacation in San Francisco last month and rode it several times during previous visits to the City. Many F Line riders are indeed tourists (which I guess would include me). However I saw enough riders using passes to see that many passengers are City residents using the F Line for basic transportation. Additionally, as the trolleys roll further on Market Street away from the Embarcadero, it seems that a greater portion of the riders are City residents.

Date: 12/16/14 22:55
Author: DNRY122

The report I saw said that the Philly PCCs are heavily rebuilt; one commentator thought they should be called "PCC-II" cars. Note the longintudinal seats (like NY subway cars) which appear to be made of some plastic material--a sad commentary on today's public behavior. Consider the original upholstered PCC seats which were a great improvement from the wooden seats of many traditional streetcars.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0603 seconds