Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Passenger Trains > Snow (and a passenger train in the Valley

Date: 03/02/15 04:22
Snow (and a passenger train in the Valley
Author: SDP40F600

There's snow and then there's deep snow. No sooner had I set out from the parking lot in Brecksville toward the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad tracks when I found myself ankle deep in it. It wasn't that far of a walk so I trudged ahead with the objective of photographing the northbound Scenic train crossing Chippewa Creek.

The snow was even deeper on the other side of the creek. I fell once when my mind was going in one direction but my body in another.

But it was worth it because the snow had not been spoiled by human footprints or other activity. It was as pure a scene as I could expect to find in Northeast Ohio and with little imagination reminiscent of being in an isolated spot in the woods of Minnesota, Michigan or Canada.

Another photographer also hiked through the snow, but he chose to photograph from the creek whereas I wanted to be able to get coming and going shots.

It was getting to be late afternoon and the sun was low enough that much of the track was in shadows. Yet the sun streaming through the trees created an interesting effect of shadows across the rails.

The bridge over Chippewa Creek was in open sunlight, which is probably why that other guy chose to go down to the water level. He would get a nicely lighted side view.

During the winter the Scenic doesn't stop at Brecksville station, so I had to guess as to when it would arrive there. The only scheduled stop between Akron and Rockside Road in Independence is Peninsula.

I was happy to see a spot of yellow when the Scenic came into view. That meant that the black LTEX 1420 would not be on the lead. Try photographing that locomotive in shadows.

Instead, the 1822, an RS18u that had been built in May 1958 for Canadian Pacific, was on the point. The trailing unit was No. 800, the FPA-4 built in March 1959 for Canadian National, and painted in a Baltimore & Ohio livery.I can only hope that this motive power consist combination will continue to run a little longer.

Date: 03/02/15 04:24
Re: Snow (and a passenger train in the Valley
Author: SDP40F600

Photos 4, 5 and 6 snow CVSR No. 800 trailing as the train continues it northward trek across Chippewa Creek, past the Brecksville station and beneath the Ohio Route 82 bridge.

Date: 03/02/15 11:15
Author: P

I think that qualifies as 'deep' snow. Nice photos.

Date: 03/02/15 13:19
Author: papio

Very nice, thanks for sharing (and braving the snow!).

Date: 03/02/15 21:30
Author: telegraphboy

You know, I have on my wall a picture of a two B&O trains,
When I saw this picture, I thought that this loco was very
close to my picture. My picture was 801 and 810. I have
utterly no idea where I got it, probably at a flea market.
But I really like the picture.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds