Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Passenger Trains > First Acela Ride-Which side to sit for best views?

Date: 03/04/15 06:35
First Acela Ride-Which side to sit for best views?
Author: bert14

Finally gonna ride the Acela from Boston to Wash DC in early April.
Is one side better than the other for the view?
or for the 1/2 seat arrangement?
Should I splurge for First Class?
Thanks for any and all info.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/15 06:59 by bert14.

Date: 03/04/15 06:43
Re: First Acela Ride-Which side to sit for best views?
Author: DavidP

Left side to see the New England coast. First offers a larger seat - biz class is by no means small - and complimentary meals and drinks. The food is generally better than what's available from the café in biz class.

Dave

Date: 03/04/15 07:00
Author: Dachinghwa

THe Connecticut coast from Guildford to Greenwich can be beautiful especially at high tide. The faded industrial vigor of the Northeast is sadly apparent on the left side approaching the Philadelphia wastelands.
I rode Boston to DC in First class last August. The car really hunted sharply when we went over a switch(The car was the last on the train). The food was OK and I believe the alcoholic beverages were free.
I would save my money and go regular Acela.

Date: 03/04/15 09:42
Author: njmidland

Left side as others have said. In addition to the Connecticut coastline you will also get views of the Delaware Bay between Philadelphia and Wilmington. I also think that is the prettier view when crossing the Susquehanna River. Only downside is not getting the view of Manhattan from the Hells Gate Bridge.

I am a fan of Acela first class but I have only done it on Guest Rewards points or on business (it is usually less than the equivalent plane ticket so I can do it). The food is better than domestic airline first class and probably on par with international business class food. The beer and wine choices are usually pretty nice. From Boston to Stamford it is rarely full, south of there it is likely every seat will be taken.

Tim

Date: 03/04/15 10:20
Author: Jishnu

As several said left side will be the more scenic side except from Hell Gate Bridge. There a spectacular view of Manhattan is on the right side.

If you are into railroad facilities right side is better since New York Sunnyside Yard, Philadeplphia Race Street Yard and most of the legendary Zoo interlocking, and the Washington DC Ivy City Yard will all be on the right side. Also the Springfield Line will come in from the right to join just north/east of New Haven, and the Metro North Main Line will veer off to the right at CP216 (Shore) just west of New Rochelle.

BTW, also on the left side you will see General Dynamics Electric Boat (the birthplace of massive nuclear submarines) in Groton across the river from New London CT. In Philly you will see Franklin Institute and the downtown across the river on the left side.

Date: 03/04/15 10:27
Author: Cole42

Left side does give you Bay View yard in Baltimore and the Bowie tower and wye to view too.

Date: 03/04/15 10:59
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Date: 03/05/15 14:59
Author: knotch8

And, if it's evening, the prettier arrival in Philadephia from crossing the Schuylkill River looking toward Center City, and then looking across the Schuylkill toward all the boathouses lighted up along the river. Not as impressive during daylight, although still nicer than the right side. A picture-postcard view of Philadelphia at night.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds