Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Passenger Trains > Silver Star, when do they close the Diner at end of trip?

Date: 03/22/15 20:03
Silver Star, when do they close the Diner at end of trip?
Author: hogandoc

I am contemplating a trip from Tampa to Miami on the Silver Star; I seem to remember that they close down food service about 30 minutes before the last stop to "inventory", which I never really thought was the best way to market the Dining Cars; 91 is scheduled (if on time) to arrive in Miami at 6:05 PM, would they even open the dining car for dinner? Seems they would have to have enough food aboard since visiting the last commissary in NYC or WAS.

Date: 03/22/15 20:16
Re: Silver Star, when do they close the Diner at end of trip?
Author: RevRandy

no dinner in the diner on either 91 or 97 unless hours late.

Date: 03/22/15 23:17
Author: The_Chief_Way

you better eat a big lunch

Date: 03/23/15 05:14
Author: chrsjrcj

No dinner unless you're more than a few hours late, then it's an abbreviated dinner (fish, pasta, and something else I believe. No steak).

The cafe car closes before the West Palm Beach stop.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/23/15 08:09
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

At the convenience of the Amployees?

Date: 03/23/15 13:46
Author: CZ10

Lurch_in_ABQ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At the convenience of the Amployees?

Of course!  This has been an issue for years.  Back in the 1970's, the Southbound Silver Meteor would depart West Palm Beach at 11:30.  Timetable showed the diner open until 13:00.  They refused to seat or serve us, saying we were too late.  We pointed to the timetable and started dropping names of the Hialeah crew base managers.  Surprise, they served us!

Date: 03/23/15 14:42
Author: reindeerflame

The service in part exists because of the efforts of, and is largely operated for the benefit of, the employees.

The customer is incidental.

Date: 03/23/15 20:48
Author: CCDeWeese

I joined the B&O upon graduation from college in the in Industrial Engineering Department in June, 1963.  Shortly thereafter, Paul Riestrup was appointed manager passenger services for the B&O and subsequently held significant posts at Illinois Central and Amtrak.  At the time he went into the B&O passenger services department, he said to me that he would fix that, because the eastbound National Limited was closing the bar car in Washington enroute to Baltimore.  Guess we now have the classic irresistible force and immovable object, and if management was the force and labor was the object, the object won.  I still, over 50 years later, do not why it is not possible to sell booze to a captive audience at a profit.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds