Home Open Account Help 187 users online

Passenger Trains > Cyclist Meets Train At Seacliff

Date: 03/24/15 21:37
Cyclist Meets Train At Seacliff
Author: walstib

A lone cyclist pedals north on the Pacific Coast Highway at Seacliff as train 11 catches the last licks of sunshine today.

Date: 03/24/15 22:07
Re: Cyclist Meets Train At Seacliff
Author: ProAmtrak

Great shot!

Date: 03/25/15 01:06
Author: 8notch

Over the hill and thru the woods...wait a minute no woods just coastline. Thanks the photo

Robert

Date: 03/25/15 06:09
Author: robj

Great photo, catches the mood.  But as bike rider, getting dark, poor choice of clothes and tight shoulder ===

Bob

Date: 03/25/15 07:11
Author: P

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photo, catches the mood.  But as bike
> rider, getting dark, poor choice of clothes and
> tight shoulder ===
>
> Bob

This is why I love to see abandoned rail corridors preserved as bike paths.  I don't want to see any rail line abandoned, but a bike/hike path is the next best outcome for a RR ROW. 

I rode my bike a lot as a kid on the roads around my rural home.  Today, I would not let my kids ride on those roads due to the massive increase in auto traffic.   This applies to most roads today as the auto traffic has skyrocketed compared to a generation ago.

Date: 03/25/15 07:46
Author: AmHog

Love this shot. Wish I were there. You see lots of cyclists on CA 1 in places where I would not dare ride a bike. I'm surprised there aren't more deaths.

Date: 03/25/15 16:02
Author: RuleG

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photo, catches the mood.  But as bike
> rider, getting dark, poor choice of clothes and
> tight shoulder ===
>
> Bob

Based on my experiences driving in the evening or night, a decent rear reflector or light on the bicycle (and reflective material on the back of the helmet) more than compensates for dark clothing.

Date: 03/26/15 17:40
Author: Abqfoamer

A decent LED bicycle headlight/taillight setup can be had for about $12 to $40 these days, should be on every bike. No lights and dark clothes make for a potentially deadly outcome. Seeing oblivious riders without lights pedaling along even lighted streets  makes me cringe. So far, I've missed them all.
The UNM area has a shared back street called Bicycle Boulevard with a supposed speed  limit of 18mph. A couple times I have opened my car door there, thinking it was clear and had a scary, silent, "invisible" rider narrowly whiz past. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds