Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Passenger Trains > North Hollywood, CA SP/PE Depot

Date: 04/02/15 21:40
North Hollywood, CA SP/PE Depot
Author: GP25

Does anyone here have any information on the progress of the restoration on this Depot?

The two pictures are me peaking over the fence. I am just barely tall enought to see over the fence

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/15 21:41 by GP25.

Date: 04/03/15 08:20
Re: North Hollywood, CA SP/PE Depot
Author: africansteam

You're up, Bob!

Cheeers,
Jack

Date: 04/03/15 14:00
Author: BobP

OK Jack.
There are 3 phases to the $3.5m restoration.
1. Initial ground mitigation (contamination) and building structural re-enforcement to keep it from falling over and decaying further.
2. Bring the building up to code for occupancy. Only new stuff is ADA ramp on north side. This is where the restoration progress is today.
3. To be done. Tenant(s) selection and tenant improvements.

Go to You Tube and type in "Lankershim Depot" to view the phase 2 completion video. (Metro).
There is also a video done few years ago on what might go into there. It was done on behalf of the Mid Town North Hollywood Neighborhood Council of which I am a board member. One of the odd things in that video is a scene where a girl is seated on a suitcase next to a scene of the station and electrified rr tracks. Little did we know then that this scene is now a possibility. Be sure to listen to the John Denver song that accompanies it.

Back at phase one, one of the things that was proposed was to remove the canvas from the chain link fence at the completion of phase 2. That never happened even though I tried through our local city council ,office (Paul Krekorian who sits on Metro's board).
So some ph2 dedication pics will have to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/15 14:15 by BobP.

Date: 04/03/15 14:02

more................

Date: 04/03/15 14:09

last two..............
and one to show what I ment by keeping it from falling over (at end of phase 10.

Date: 04/03/15 14:30

One more. On your "looking over the fence" (gate).
I have requested that this gate be raised to the same height as the rest of the fence (10ft?).
The is too valuable historic asset to be left easily accessed.

Another little bit of that station's history.
The Lankershim (No Hollywood) sub station (1910) is still there on the SW corner of Vineland and Riverside drive.
Then and now pic attached.

Date: 04/03/15 14:41
Author: GP25

Hey Bob. I would have no problem with raising the fence at this spot. I can see a few areas where.
There is a lot of discarded beer cans and trash inside the fence area. And I thought I saw a little
bit of graffiti as well.

And like you said Bob. We need to protect this Depot.

BobP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One more. On your "looking over the fence"
> (gate).
> I have requested that this gate be raised to the
> same height as the rest of the fence (10ft?).
> The is too valuable historic asset to be left
> easily accessed.
>
> Another little bit of that station's history.
> The Lankershim (No Hollywood) sub station (1910)
> is still there on the SW corner of Vineland and
> Riverside drive.
> Then and now pic attached.

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 04/04/15 12:35
Author: Phil1

In he late 1940s and into the 50s we used this station at Chandler and Lankershim to go to Van Nuys and the west valley on the old Red Cars that ran up Lankershim and over the hill to ( now the Hollywood or 101 Freeway) Hollywood and points beyond that. I am overjoyed to see this being restored to look as it did when I rode the Red Cars as a child. Most folks in the S.F. Valley today do not have a clue as to the rich history being brought back by this effort. Thnaks for re jogging some very happy memories from 1948 to about 1954. Now if only a Red Car would run WB along Chandler to the West Valley.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 04/05/15 14:37

Phil1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
,Now if only a Red Car would run WB
> along Chandler to the West Valley.

With the repeal last year of the Robbin's CA senate bill prohibiting light rail down Chandler that possibility is now there. Hence my comment about the girl on the suitcase.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0868 seconds