Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Passenger Trains > Modoc Railroad Academy

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/18/15 08:11
Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Fellow TO'ers:

I don't know about you, but I have been shocked and appalled by the statements made in both social and broadcast media by David Rangel of Modoc Railroad (formerly Modoc Railroad Academy). Besides being potentially libelous to Amtrak engineer Brandon Bostian, his comments clearly show his utter lack of respect for any of us who happen to like our job or for the vast majority of TO subscribers.

(For those of you who haven't seen what I'm talking about, I have attached a screen shot of Rangel's Facebook post from a few days ago. It was subsequently deleted, but was seen by enough people to cause quite a stir in social media)

Anyway, I'm asking each of you to let the railfan press know that implicit approval of such disrespect will not be tolerated and to contact the major magazines and ask they refuse further print or digital advertising from Modoc and its affiliates if they wish to continue to enjoy your business:

editor@trainsmag.com
info@whiteriverproductions.com

I think it should go without saying that any fan wanting to go to work for the railroad should think LONG and HARD before giving these people any of your money.

Their actions should have consequences. Do not stand by and let this organization continue to misrepresent the railroad industry in general and the railfan community in particular.

NZ

Date: 05/18/15 08:15
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: strench707

Couldn't agree more.  This man is in no position to be speaking on this incident and is doing his industry a disservice by diluting this tragedy with misleading conjecture.  MODOC has showed its true colors.  I echo all comments that were made above.

So very selfish...

Davis

Date: 05/18/15 08:22
Author: warren49

Another example, albeit a much more serious one, of how people seem to see the Internet as some sort of impersonal world, where one is not responsible for his/her actions.  Would the person who posted this have stood in front of a crowd and publicly stated the same thoughts?  I don't know one way or the other, but it is so much easier when you are just typing.

Date: 05/18/15 08:34
Author: WP-M2051

The railroads will train you; don't give money to this clown and his "academy".

Date: 05/18/15 08:42
Author: GenePoon

"...In the end, this is the only photograph I needed to see..."

All I see in the photo is a friendly, neatly-attired Amtrak conductor.

Date: 05/18/15 08:59
Author: railwaybaron

In Europe, I met many Railfan/Railroaders and they all worked extra hard for the railway. What meanness Modoc expressed. As for risking lives to see how fast the train would go, he was riding the #1 death seat. It makes no sense.

Date: 05/18/15 09:23
Author: Out_Of_Service

DISGUSTING ... I don't know where this CLOWN got his information with stating three of the four tracks are equipped with PTC when all four tracks are governed by rule 261 ... signaled bi-direction on all 4 tracks ...

tracks speeds on #1&4 are the same and #2&3 are the same

Train Types "A"&"B"

Holmes to Shore

# 1 & 4 90mph
# 2 & 3 110mph

Posted from Android

Date: 05/18/15 09:29
Author: highgreengraphics

What the hell was that? You've got to be kidding, that Modoc Railroad Academy came up with THAT? And I had a lot of respect for them, and even referred some future students and employees to them. No more! Don't you just hate it when somebody flippantly opens up their careless mouth or in this case their reckless opinion and disappoints you so much, and destroys what you thought you knew about them? Besides, I have never figured out why it is considered so wrong for an employee to have an interest in his work. === === = === JLH

Date: 05/18/15 09:48

highgreengraphics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the hell was that? You've got to be kidding,
> that Modoc Railroad Academy came up with THAT? And
> I had a lot of respect for them, and even referred
> some future students and employees to them. No
> more!

Indeed...BTW, if you need any more reason not to spend your hard-earned money with these people, know that the State of California fined Modoc Railroad Academy over $25,000 for violations of the state's regulations for educational facilities. I have the 7-page .pdf of their citation if anyone wants to see it. It's a matter of public record.

Perhaps this is one reason The Academy changed its name to Modoc Railroad and moved to Marion, IL a few years back.

NZ

Date: 05/18/15 09:54
Author: CCT41

They (Modoc) are also trying to set up something in Medford Oregon on the White City terminal RR. 

NebraskaZephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> highgreengraphics Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What the hell was that? You've got to be
> kidding,
> > that Modoc Railroad Academy came up with THAT?
> And
> > I had a lot of respect for them, and even
> referred
> > some future students and employees to them. No
> > more!
>
> Indeed...BTW, if you need any more reason not to
> spend your hard-earned money with these people,
> know that the State of California fined Modoc
> Railroad Academy over $25,000 for violations of
> the state's regulations for educational
> facilities. I have the 7-page .pdf of their
> citation if anyone wants to see it. It's a matter
> of public record.
>
> Perhaps this is one reason The Academy changed its
> name to Modoc Railroad and moved to Marion, IL a
> few years back.
>
> NZ

Date: 05/18/15 09:55
Author: rbmn5022

Wonder what percentage of their students are "foamers?" Probably more than not.

Date: 05/18/15 11:05
Author: Milw_E70

Modoc seems to have a thing for tragedies...they offer "expert witness" services to the media and civil trials, for a price.

Modoc Railroad Expert Witness Service

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/15 11:14 by Milw_E70.

Date: 05/18/15 12:06
Author: timecruncher

Lordy!

Has anyone here other than possibly MaryMcPherson or cashfare seen the Modoc Choo-Choo U down in Marion, IL?  Oh yes, well, let's take a look:

Yep.  These folks must be experts!

timecruncher

In the second photo, I especially like the code wire running along the ties and under rails...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/15 12:07 by timecruncher.

Date: 05/18/15 12:21
Author: santafedan

Photo 2:  Looks as if he teaches derail techniques as well.

Date: 05/18/15 12:32
Author: CaliforniaSteam

What a stupid thing to say, In the photo's doesn't look like modern equipment to me. Just a switch engine which is a far cry from big power on big trains. Nobody should spend any money at this place. The class 1 railroads will train you on how they want things done. If you trying to learn how to be an engineer with that consist your still going to clueless when you hire out with a class 1.

CS

Date: 05/18/15 13:03

In case you needed any more reason not to do business with them, here is the copy of that CA citation they received for not following regulations relating to educational facilities.
In their defense, this fine and citation are currently tied up in court on appeal based on Modoc's contention that AS A RAILROAD state law is pre-empted in favor of FRA regs.
Anyway, here's pages 1-3....Pages 4-6 and 7 to follow immediately.

NZ

Date: 05/18/15 13:05

Pages 4-6:

Date: 05/18/15 13:06

Page 7:

NZ

Date: 05/18/15 15:00
Author: Wurli1938

Did they ever pay the violation?  Or did they avoid it by just "skipping town" ! !

Date: 05/18/15 15:52
Author: CDTX

Modoc Railroad Academy was not a railroad as defined by any entity other than themselves while located in California. When the FRA noticed that MODOC was handing out 240 cards like candy to their students, every railroad that used these former students certification to put them to work the FRA made each railroad re-certify these individuals because they had not been certified properly under CFR 49 part 240 because MODOC IS NOT A RAILROAD and if you are not a railroad, you are not regulated by the FRA.

Jeff

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0975 seconds