Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Passenger Trains > AEM7s in decline

Date: 05/23/15 17:08
AEM7s in decline
Author: rfprr1

Spent the better part of the afternoon trackside on the NEC hoping to catch some remaining AEM7s.
Alas, only saw one and with horrible lighting conditions to boot.  Add to the frustration it was on #1 track, nearest the platform.
Trackwork had 2 & 3 out of service, the tracks Amtrak usually operates on.
AEM-7 940 leads a northbound corridor train at North Elizabeth (NJ).
On a positive note, at least I got one.

rfprr

Date: 05/23/15 17:17
Re: AEM7s in decline
Author: Lackawanna484

Nice shot of that old warrior.

I spent some time on the platform in Edison a few days ago, and only saw four out of probably 15 Amtrak trains over several hours.

Date: 05/23/15 17:38
Author: Out_Of_Service

940 was leading on the first eb in a week of suspended service this past Mon morning through the derailment site ...

Posted from Android

Date: 05/23/15 17:43
Author: joemvcnj

I would think they would try to concentrate them on Keystone trains, which is not as strenuous, or just NYP - WAS 180-series trains.

Date: 05/23/15 17:54
Author: timecruncher

I rode the corridor BWI to MET and return this past Wednesday and had AEM's both ways.  Saw a few Sprinters on other corridor trains, and one sailed through Metropark on what appeared to be a Harrisburg train with those blinding LED headlights and ditchlights.  The old toasters did well on both trains, keeping us on schedule mostly and topping out at 134mph on the northbound trip somewhere in Delaware north of the trackwork near the Maryland state line.

Have to admit that both trains were clean and crews did their jobs well and got the job done.  It wasn't Southwest Airlines-friendly, but adequate and both trains were on time even with the work limits delays.

timecruncher

Date: 05/23/15 18:13
Author: mp51w

I'll take that dirty face over a pretty ACS 64 anyday!

Date: 05/23/15 18:17

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would think they would try to concentrate them
> on Keystone trains, which is not as strenuous, or
> just NYP - WAS 180-series trains.

I'd agree with that, although there are at least two Sprinters in the current Keystone power pool

Date: 05/23/15 20:29
Author: jp1822

I think Amtrak should be holding onto the AEM7's in case the Sprinters come up with an issue of some sort in their first "year" of operation. They could be easily diverted to Keystone service.

What happened to making them into cab cars? That actually sounded like a good idea and a way to free up the P42's that get put on either end of a train...........There's potentially other opportunities as well.

Date: 05/24/15 03:47
Author: dan

allready being cut up

Date: 05/24/15 05:11

jp1822 Wrote:
> I think Amtrak should be holding onto the AEM7's
> in case the Sprinters come up with an issue of
> some sort in their first "year" of operation. They
> could be easily diverted to Keystone service.
>
> What happened to making them into cab cars? That
> actually sounded like a good idea and a way to
> free up the P42's that get put on either end of a
> train...........There's potentially other
> opportunities as well.

somebody mentioned the AEM-7AC units will be in service for a while longer.  The DC units have already been pulled, and some have been chopped up.

The AC units were rebuilt relatively recently, maybe within the past 10 or 12 years.

Date: 05/25/15 13:28
Author: timecruncher

joemvcnj Wrote:
> I would think they would try to concentrate them
> on Keystone trains, which is not as strenuous, or
> just NYP - WAS 180-series trains.

Matter of fact, while waiting for our train at Metropark this past Wednesday, May 20, a Keystone consist sailed through on the inside main with a new Sprinter in a big hurry...

My host in 'Jersey took a photo of our train arriving and our return train arriving.  Damn if it wasn't the same "in-need-of-a-paint-job-and-washrack-visit" motor 942!

And I don't mind the Sprinters - clean lines, bright LED headlights and ditchlights, modern power.  They didn't buy them to be pretty, but to pull heavy NEC trains.

timecruncher

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/15 13:30 by timecruncher.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds