Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Passenger Trains > The NFRS&ITC

Date: 05/29/15 15:07
The NFRS&ITC
Author: Phil1

Dear T.O. Readers: I am very conflicted in my ideas about new The Niagara Falls International Railway and Inter modal Transportation Center for so many reasons they are heard to put into simple context here. I am there fore referring you to the May 26th to June 2nd edition of the Niagara Falls Reporter  which this week outlined many reasons why this seemingly great idea may not work as well as we may have been led to believe.The website is  www.niagarafallsreproter.com
     Specifically pages 6 and 7 really hit hard the total concept in terms of passenger loading's and size of the building compared to other stations in New York with more ridership. Cost to the taxpayer is a major concern . There is NO contract with AMTRAK for rental or leasing of the space yet,
  Pages 10 to 14 take a lightly comical look at the nine word name and show many different ways of looking at just that aspect of the plan.
      For all of us who want to see new , modern and well equipped stations for AMTRAK passengers, this is must read. It does give a wide angle look at the many offsetting points to having such a large structure built to accommodate to only four trains a day and 32,000 riders a year. Yes, it is 1 mile closer to the falls, but those who board and alight from the trains that call there are NOT international or out of state riders.
   So please take the time and look this over and I welcome all comments both for and comments that are not in line with this project as it seems to be going . Is there a middle ground where Niagara Falls can be in the 21st century with a new and modern terminal that will actually pay for itself and not be a burden on the taxpayers?

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 05/29/15 15:40
Re: The NFRS&ITC
Author: NGotwalt

Well a quick review of the article was interesting, not nearly as interesting as the background info I found on that Publication. It's seem the Reporter is shall we say not exactly hallowed venue of Journalistic integrity. Could they be right, certainly. From what I have read about them, do I trust them, nope. Especially since the article makes no mention of the need Customs and Border Protection facilities at the station, and with that new law going into effect, it is possible the Canadians will move their operation in as well. Seems like they just want to sensationalize, without presenting all the pertinent information.
Nick

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/29/15 16:49
Re: The NFRS&ITC
Author: Phil1

Nick: Thanks for the response. I found a copy of the  Niagara Reporter News paper on a table  in a Tim Horton's Doughnut Cafe  here today. I live in Getzville and had  never seen the paper, but the headline about the new train station caught my eye and my interest. I does tend to bring out aspects of this new terminal that I had never heard before since I live 18 miles from it and using it is not convenient since I get on AMTRAK at Depew when I use it. It does add interesting perspective. Devoting as much newsprint as they did tends to make me believe they are really concerned that it may not work out long term in a financial sense and is much larger than comparable AMTRAK stations in New York that have many less boarding's. AMTRAK is very exact about square footage needed to handle passengers and may not want to rent enough space and therefore pay enough  to make this even work. Again ,I appreciate your input.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0375 seconds