Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 06/06/15 05:16
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/21 13:56 by F40PHR231.

Date: 06/06/15 06:27
Re: Train time at SLC station
Author: 1200v

Nice shots! Congratulations.

Date: 06/06/15 07:24
Author: Cumbresfan

Looks like today's #5 also is headed for a very late arrival in SLC this evening. Down 3 1/2 hours before Denver. Very nasty weather last  evening here in Denver and more expected over the northern UP transcon detour. High mountains west of town covered in bright white with this mornings sun.

Date: 06/06/15 07:44
Author: Latebeans

Very nice photos.  The Rio Grande station is both trainless and trackless.  If I remember correctly there was about a mile of street running to reach it from the south.

Date: 06/06/15 08:12
Author: bigjim4life

Nice shots!  I hope to make it trackside at some point over the next two weeks while I'm here...

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 06/06/15 10:26

Depart Denver 11:14 a.m. Next stop and smoke break SLC! Coach cars just about empty due to the detour and lack of CO and Utah stops west of here to SLC. High water in the Platte due to last night's downpours. Leaving the city electrical workers are busy this Saturday assembling catenary on the north line.

Haven't met any other TO members yet, but there are a couple of UP modelers a couple of seats ahead of me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/15 10:28 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 06/06/15 10:37
Author: atsf121

Fantastic photos Chris, I love the night time shots.  Kills me they abondened the depots for the Amshack even further from town.  I've walked from Main St to the station, but most folks aren't as adventurous as me.  Would have been better even if they put the trains in a trench to avoid street congestion.

Nathan

Date: 06/06/15 11:54
Author: IC_2024

Latebeans Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice photos.  The Rio Grande station is both
> trainless and trackless.  If I remember correctly
> there was about a mile of street running to reach
> it from the south.

That is all correct, sir.  And, way to go SLC.  The city redeveloped for the Winter Olympics some years ago and kicked Amtrak down the road to yet another "temporary" demoralizing Am-shack structure.  To top it off, the schedule for Amtk 6 was changed to (surprise?!?) accomodate the UPRR for trackwork windows and never changed back making for an awfully inhospitable "wee hours" of the AM arrival for #6 and killing a lot of its SLC traffic as well.
Photos are awesome, Chris!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/15 11:55 by IC_2024.

Date: 06/06/15 12:04
Author: joemvcnj

My way around getting up at 3am to catch #6 was to take the Dog to Grand Junction the day before.
Wound up with a rather lazy GL driver. If you think Amtrak is bad with local supervision:
  • He shows up 5 minutes before departure to pick up his bus from the lot and load, then he spends 20 minutes jumping from bus to bus to bus until finding one to his liking.
  • At Provo, after spending 5 minutes loading, spends another 15 minutes bull$hitting with the convenience store clerk inside.
  • At another town, rather than simply pull into the filling station depot off the freeway exit, goes a mile into town, turns around around the block via a back alley, and comes back on the other side of the street.
  • Provided us with an extra unscheduled rest stop at Green River.
We were 70 minutes late arriving Grand Junction. I was so glad to pickup my suitcase and escape the shenanigans.
All in all, SLC has gotten to be a very difficult place to travel to. That was my last and final attempt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/15 12:06 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/06/15 12:18
Author: Latebeans

Author: joemvcnj My way around getting up at 3am to catch #6 was to take the Dog to Grand Junction the day before.
Wound up with a rather lazy GL driver. If you think Amtrak is bad with local supervision:
  • He shows up 5 minutes before departure to pick up his bus from the lot and load, then he spends 20 minutes jumping from bus to bus to bus until finding one to his liking.
  • At Provo, after spending 5 minutes loading, spends another 15 minutes bull$hitting with the convenience store clerk inside.
  • At another town, rather than simply pull into the filling station depot off the freeway exit, goes a mile into town, turns around around the block via a back alley, and comes back on the other side of the street.
  • Provided us with an extra unscheduled rest stop at Green River.
We were 70 minutes late arriving Grand Junction. I was so glad to pickup my suitcase and escape the shenanigans.
All in all, SLC has gotten to be a very difficult place to travel to. That was my last and final attempt.

Not at all, your are supposed to do like everyone else in these Great States of Amerka and either drive or fly.  Watts zamatta man, ya gotta problem wit dat?

Date: 06/06/15 13:26

Changed UP pilot and met #6 at west Speer, WY 2:00-2:15 pm.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/06/15 18:45
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice shots, nice job.
JB

Date: 06/06/15 21:39
Author: ProAmtrak

Great night pics Chris!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0667 seconds