Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Passenger Trains > Just got off the #5

Date: 06/26/15 23:34
Just got off the #5
Author: smu

We just arrived in Sacramento on the #5, about 8+/- hours late.  Two nights ago we had just left Ottumwa, IA when the bad weather hit.  The train stopped, after receiving all the advisories, and we waited it out. It was dark and we were told we were in a protected area . . . It felt like we were stopped on a slight curve and leaning into the wind. BIG WINDS and the lightning was intense. Maybe for the locals it was normal, but I have never seen anything like it.  Non-stop, mostly cloud to cloud with a few strikes. The rain came shooting down and the train was shaking. After about an hour we started to move but stopped again when it sounded like we hit a tree or brushed by one.  It was 11pm and I went to sleep with everything calming down. Sound like we just made it through . . .
Photo out the back of the train the before the the storm. 

We we still had a great trip!!!!!!

Now we wait for the #14 to head back home . . .

Steve Utley
Salem, OR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/15 23:51 by smu.

Date: 06/27/15 04:03
Re: Just got off the #5
Author: ut-1

Interesting story. I've been out west on Amtrak when bad weather's hit, I'll never forget seeing the maelstroms produced by those storms either: lightning, heavy rains and winds all viewed from trains speeding through western nights.

Date: 06/27/15 05:13
Author: IC1026

Is that rain on your lens? I like the photo tho! It adds to the affect.

Date: 06/27/15 05:16
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Rain on the lens ? Doubtful.    To have that you would have to open the rear door and get rained on. Nothing more than a dirty rear window

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0779 seconds