Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Passenger Trains > Updates on #5/6 in Omaha area

Date: 06/28/15 14:49
Updates on #5/6 in Omaha area
Author: brc600

#5 of the 28th is CANCELLED WITH NO ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION PER AMTRAK. So is #6 (29) out of Emeryville. #5 (27) is ETA Denver 1159pm. #6 (25) is terminated @ Osceola, Iowa with passengers bustituted to Chicago! # 6 (26) left Omaha over the UP (old CNW) @ 157PM CT.

#6 (27) will also detour over the UP (CNW) Omaha to Chicago for MONDAY 6/29.

Confused enough?????

Date: 06/28/15 15:17
Re: Updates on #5/6 in Omaha area
Author: daniel3197

I think you mean Train 6 of 28-sunday (today)  is CANCELLED from EMY orig
--NO way could this baby operate .

It is likely smart to Cancel 6 of 29th-- Monday-- as well.
I will guess train 6 of 30th --tuesday--may likely operate most of the route (Reno origin ???).
I hope, think that most of these guesses are reasonable to operate.
These guesses should be reasonably good as I write this
at  3:15 PM PDT Sunday 6-28-15 = California time.
---- Daniel
======================================

(sunday 6-28)brc600 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #5 of the 28th is CANCELLED WITH NO ALTERNATE
> TRANSPORTATION PER AMTRAK. So is #6 (29) out of
> Emeryville. #5 (27) is ETA Denver 1159pm. #6 (25)
> is terminated @ Osceola, Iowa with passengers
> bustituted to Chicago! # 6 (26) left Omaha over
> the UP (old CNW) @ 157PM CT.
>
> #6 (27) will also detour over the UP (CNW) Omaha
> to Chicago for MONDAY 6/29.
>
> Confused enough?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/15 15:19 by daniel3197.

Date: 06/28/15 15:57
Author: andersonb109

"No alternative transportation." Exactly how are people suppose to get where they are going? Next day's train is probably sold out. Then there is the little matter of an expensive hotel in Chicago for the night. I love passenger train travel. But this is another instance that would make me seriously rethink doing an overnight trip again. Oh wait! I'm booked on No. 30 Wednesday night. Fortunately I'll have my car at the station where I'm boarding so if it craps out, I can always drive the next day to my destination. Others may not be so fortunate. Flights are I suppose an option for the major cities. But not much help if you are going to say Burlingtion, IA. Amtrak should be ashamed for the lack of service they are providing. 

Date: 06/28/15 16:33
Author: MadManMoon

I'm at SAC waiting for 6(28) as I type this.  It left EMY at around 3:30PM, due here in an hour or so.  So, not canceled, but already extremely late!  I have no illusions that I'll make my 2-hour Cardinal connection on Tuesday!

Date: 06/28/15 19:26
Author: RutledgeRadio

I'm so confused....and SO GLAD that Ottumwa was my stop on 5(26)! I couldn't believe it yesterday when I drove over the tracks after 6 PM and it was STILL THERE...with passengers aboard... never in my life have I ever seen, or heard of something so screwed up. At this point Amtrak had better start cancelling trains just so they can catch up and start over.

The confusion on 5(26) in Burlington was hilarious, and maddening, at the same time. The ballast train sent to work on the track in Melrose derailed, and BNSF told Amtrak turn around and head back to Galesburg. I was thinking, how's this going to help us? Then right before they unhook the engines BNSF changes their mind and says its okay to continue on to Ottumwa. Again, WHY?? What's that going to accomplish? I, myself, was glad that we did continue since I was able to get off where I wanted to, but that didn't help the other passengers any. If I was Amtrak I'd at least have buses waiting in Ottumwa to jump people across the derailment towards Omaha. Then turn 6(24) around in Omaha and bus its remaining passengers to Chicago. It's not rocket science.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/15 19:30 by RutledgeRadio.

Date: 06/28/15 19:32
Author: GenePoon

MadManMoon Wrote:
> I'm at SAC waiting for 6(28) as I type this.  It
> left EMY at around 3:30PM, due here in an hour or
> so.  So, not canceled, but already extremely
> late!  I have no illusions that I'll make my
> 2-hour Cardinal connection on Tuesday!

If you are going to Indy, enjoy your ride in an Amtrak-provided van.

...or maybe you can convince them to put you up for two nights in Chicago.  Yeh.  :-)

Date: 06/28/15 20:33
Author: illini73

brc600 Wrote:

> Confused enough?????

Yes.  But to close out the story, the washout at Melrose, IA that caused all the confusion (and/or fiascos) has finally been repaired.  Both main tracks are open as of 3:30 p.m. today (Sunday 6/28).

I'm really ready for some happier news, for example it appears the Iowa Pacific upgrade to Hoosier State service will be starting very soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/15 20:34 by illini73.

Date: 06/28/15 21:45
Author: chakk

GenePoon Wrote:
> MadManMoon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm at SAC waiting for 6(28) as I type this.
>  It
> > left EMY at around 3:30PM, due here in an hour
> or
> > so.  So, not canceled, but already extremely
> > late!  I have no illusions that I'll make my
> > 2-hour Cardinal connection on Tuesday!
>
> If you are going to Indy, enjoy your ride in an
> Amtrak-provided van.
>
> ...or maybe you can convince them to put you up
> for two nights in Chicago.  Yeh.  :-)

If the delays continue as they have been progressing -- one #5 is now 34 hours late in western Colorado but still moving west -- he might not need to spend any nights in a hotel in Chicago and yet still catch the next available Cardinal with little dwell time in CUS.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0612 seconds