Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak suspends some SE/NE service

Date: 10/05/15 04:04
Amtrak suspends some SE/NE service
Author: PennPlat

Amtrak Suspends Some Service Along the SoutheastWeather continues to impact some trains operating between Florida and New York City=12ptDue to weather conditions still impacting railroad operations in the Southeast, Amtrak will suspend some services and make adjustments to others along the East Coast for Monday, Oct. 5. =12ptPalmetto Train 90 (Savannah, Ga. - New York City) is canceled. Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 (New York City - Miami) is suspended between New York City and Jacksonville, Fla.=12ptNortheast Regional 84 between Richmond, Va. and New York City, will originate in Washington, D.C. Northeast Regional 94 between Newport News, Va. and Boston will originate in Richmond, Va.=12ptThis information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.=12ptPassengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.=12ptFollow @Amtrak on Twitter.

Date: 10/05/15 06:39
Re: Amtrak suspends some SE/NE service
Author: knotch8

Reports of several washouts on the Silver Star's route between Hamlet, Columbia and Denmark, SC.  This is a hilly, curvy right-of-way with numerous bridges and culverts across the countless creeks, streams and rivers. 

It's not just the railroads.  I-95, the main north-south artery through South Carolina, is closed for 74 miles between MP 86 and 160.  I think that's roughly between the I-26 interchange and the I-20 interchange.  Long lists of highway and street closures through the Piedmont area of the state and along the coast.

The damage is from torrential rains inland and wind-driven tides on the coast (think Tropical Storm Sandy for the latter). 

Date: 10/05/15 06:58
Author: Jimbo

Amtrak 19 and 20, the Crescent, made it through on Norfolk Southern with no delay last night/this morning.  It passes through upstate South Carolina, including Spartanburg, Greenville, and Clemson.

Date: 10/05/15 10:38
Author: Jishnu

Both 91/92 and 97/98 have now been blocked by Amtrak in their reservation system through their Wednesday departure, even though they have not announced anything beyond today yet. Apparently those who had reservations on tomorrow's 97 and 91 and presumably 98 and 92 have started receiving email notification from Amtrak. Apparently they will just be running MIA - JAX and be suspended north of JAX.

Date: 10/05/15 11:40
Author: Lackawanna484

Auto-Train has also been cancelled.

I'm guessing that Amtrak may take the opportunity to add more staff, coaches and sleepers earlier than usual.  They've been operating with 37 cars (21 racks and 16 passenger cars), and can add up to 13 more.  That usually happens in early November, and coincides with the beginning of the snowbird surge.

There will be several hundred people waiting for transport even if the train resumes tomorrow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds