Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Passenger Trains > LA Metro: New Kinki Sharyo LRV in Monrovia

Date: 10/14/15 20:48
LA Metro: New Kinki Sharyo LRV in Monrovia
Author: DNRY122

One of my correspondents sent a series of photos showing this car being delivered under cover of darkness within the past few days.  Since I was in the Monrovia area, I went by Metro Division 24 (also known as the Gold Line Operations Campus) for a look.  We're now up to 1009, which is in the yard with the pan up and the side sign illuminated.  The car behind it is 1006, which has been there a while.  I think we may start seeing more cars arriving soon.

And next week, Metro is supposed to be announcing when revenue service will begin.  I wouldn't be completely surprised if the announcement is postponed, because I watched for pre-revenue testing when I was in Arcadia earlier today and no trains were seen.  Stay tuned!

Date: 10/14/15 20:58
Re: LA Metro: New Kinki Sharyo LRV in Monrovia
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Lovely display of pristine, show-room new "sleepers."

Date: 10/14/15 22:02
Author: chs7-321

There's something about those trucks and wheels that makes the whole thing look.....toy-like....  :-/

Date: 10/14/15 22:33
Author: SP4360

DNRY122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of my correspondents sent a series of photos
> showing this car being delivered under cover of
> darkness within the past few days.  Since I was
> in the Monrovia area, I went by Metro Division 24
> (also known as the Gold Line Operations Campus)
> for a look.  We're now up to 1009, which is in
> the yard with the pan up and the side sign
> illuminated.  The car behind it is 1006, which
> has been there a while.  I think we may start
> seeing more cars arriving soon.
>
> And next week, Metro is supposed to be announcing
> when revenue service will begin.  I wouldn't be
> completely surprised if the announcement is
> postponed, because I watched for pre-revenue
> testing when I was in Arcadia earlier today and no
> trains were seen.  Stay tuned!

No trains during the day as maint./construction forces are out doing punchlist work.

Date: 10/14/15 23:36
Author: MartyBernard

Are you sure those are not cars for the baby poop yellow line?

Marty

Date: 10/15/15 05:14
Author: NormSchultze

Kinda looks like a beatle !

Date: 10/15/15 07:46
Author: Frank30

What with the gorgeous color schemes we're seeing on new LRVs all over the place,
these LA Metro look rather Blah!  Unimaginative.  It's amazing what a little paint, applied
with a little imagination, can do to a plain box.  Perhaps this is a cost cutting measure.
Thanks, however, for posting.
Frank30

Date: 10/15/15 12:47
Author: Kimball

With just 3 units on-site and at least 13 parallel tracks, it seems someone has over-planned or over-built a bit, or there are going to be dozens and dozens of these here every night?

Date: 10/15/15 13:09

The yard is designed to hold about 80 cars.  Eventually the Breda cars now at the facility near Elysian Park (the site of the SP Bull Ring yard) will be stored at Monrovia along with the new KS cars.  Or as my friends in the Facebook 70s Music group might say "We've only just begun."

Date: 10/16/15 08:04
Author: CPRR

Anyone know if they plan to replace the old Blue line trains?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/16/15 13:29

The story I've heard is that once Metro has enough of the new cars to support the Gold Line and Expo extensions, the oldest of the original Blue Line cars can be replaced (they've been updated and overhauled over the years, but they've been in service since 1990.)  Metro will also need cars for the Crenshaw-LAX line.  As someone who lived through the "bad old days" of the 1970s, I am truly amazed that LA County is now the scene of two rail projects wrapping up, the Crenshaw and Downtown Connector lines under construction, and preparation for the Wilshire Subway (Purple Line) under way.  Now we just need to get the funding secured to build a rail line over (or under) Sepulveda Pass to provide an alternate to the 405 Freeway......

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds