Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Passenger Trains > Caltrain efforts to reduce collisions

Date: 10/15/15 01:49
Caltrain efforts to reduce collisions
Author: SDGreg

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/10/15/caltrain-improvements-burlingame-vehicle-strikes/

http://www.caltrain.com/about/news/Caltrain_Issues_Statement_On_Recent_Incidents__Seeks_Community_Support.html?PageMode=Print

"Caltrain is working on new methods of preventing vehicle crashes on its tracks in response to a sharp uptick this year, particularly in recent months, officials said Wednesday.  At least eight vehicles have been hit on Caltrain tracks this year, six of them since Aug. 1. Four of the eight crashes have been in Burlingame, and three of those at the same intersection: Broadway.  That intersection has been the focus of the first action aimed at preventing further accidents. Caltrain is working with Burlingame city officials to add pavement striping to the existing gates and signals to make the crossing more clear to drivers, Caltrain officials said.  While implementing the changes, police are increasing visibility during times of heavy traffic and warning drivers to stay off the tracks, according to Caltrain."

"The rail agency is also looking into another problem that has seen a drastic rise this year: pedestrian deaths on the tracks, most of which are by suicide.  There have been 18 deaths on Caltrain tracks this year, up dramatically from last. To address this Caltrain is working with mental health communities in San Francisco, Santa Clara and San Mateo counties to not only take steps to prevent suicide with intervention, but prevent access to tracks with fencing and possibly video monitoring."

Date: 10/16/15 11:44
Re: Caltrain efforts to reduce collisions
Author: walstib

I'm all for reducing deaths on the tracks, but I question this "working with mental health communities" statement. Sounds great, but what does it really mean? What exactly, if anything, are they actually doing?

I remember when they first started putting up the "there is help" suicide hotline signs along the tracks in the 1990s. Seems like a good idea, but with deaths up you have to wonder if they have any impact. I'm sure it's difficult to count the number of people who don't jump. It's just a very difficult situation.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/16/15 23:06
Re: Caltrain efforts to reduce collisions
Author: cchan006

walstib Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm all for reducing deaths on the tracks, but I
> question this "working with mental health
> communities" statement. Sounds great, but what
> does it really mean? What exactly, if anything,
> are they actually doing?
>
> I remember when they first started putting up the
> "there is help" suicide hotline signs along the
> tracks in the 1990s. Seems like a good idea, but
> with deaths up you have to wonder if they have any
> impact. I'm sure it's difficult to count the
> number of people who don't jump. It's just a very
> difficult situation.
>
> Posted from iPhone

The increase in train suicides in Japan coincided with their economic decline after the bubble burst in the late 1980s. I believe the unreasonably high cost of living plus the academic pressure (an indirect economic impact - pursuit of a "successful" career) have exacerbated the problem in the San Francisco Bay Area, so the problem is economic here as well. That's my opinion, anyway.

I interpret the "working with mental health communities" as a mere "we're working on it" to pretend something is being done. I don't think policymakers have a real solution right now, unless they can make Bay Area living magically affordable, and create the impression that academic success is less relevant to a productive life. Grade separation is a good start, which the Joint Powers have been working on, even if slowly. They might not prevent those who are determined to die (BART death last Tuesday), but suicide becomes less frivolous, and besides, many accidents can now be prevented.

Railroads in Japan who can afford it have committed to grade separation projects - I saw many such projects in progress last week while I was there, and one is shown in Jonjonjonjon's video of the Hankyu Railway:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3828567

Unless Google and Amazon invent "self-flying delivery vehicles" to place cars at track level, grade seperation should help reduce collisions. :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds