Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Passenger Trains > LA Metro Blue Line closed in Compton

Date: 11/24/15 10:53
LA Metro Blue Line closed in Compton
Author: DNRY122

When I was in downtown LA for the Auto Show yesterday (having come from East Pasadena on the Gold, Red and Expo lines), I noticed that the message boards were announcing delays on the Blue Line because of a collision in Compton that took the tracks out of service, requiring a bus bridge and causing considerable delays.  Following up today on the Metro website and the Long Beach Press-Telegram, I found that a driver made an illegal left turn, went around a crossing gate, and learned the hard way that a 2-ton automobile is no match for a 120-ton interurban train.  But the front end of the car apparently got wedged under the lead LRV and derailed it. As of this morning the line was still closed while Metro crews repaired damage to the signal system, the overhead wire structure and possibly the track.  Photo coverage of the incident shows the automobile that cause the whole mess--the front end is completely demolished, and another photo shows a line crew untangling the trolley wire.  The driver of the car was reportedly "injured"--judging from the photo, he or she can thank modern auto engineering that this was not a fatal collision.

For those not familiar with the LA MetroBlue Line, it follows the Pacific Electric route through Watts and Compton en route to Long Beach.  PE would run three-car trains during rush hours, but normally ran single units.  LA Metro runs three-car trains all day long and well into the evening.  One can imagine the delays involved in getting the passengers from a three-car train (usually with a standing load) into a fleet of buses to get around the closure.

Date: 11/24/15 11:25
Re: LA Metro Blue Line closed in Compton
Author: Cumbresfan

Because the Blue line goes through some less-than-stellar neighborhoods on the way to Long Beach, how is on-train security for riders?

Date: 11/24/15 11:39
Author: bradleymckay

Cumbresfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because the Blue line goes through some
> less-than-stellar neighborhoods on the way to Long
> Beach, how is on-train security for riders?

Be careful!  I think the new (or maybe not) phrase for less-the-steller is "economicly challenged".   :>)

Allen

Date: 11/24/15 14:52
Author: PHall

Cumbresfan Wrote:
> Because the Blue line goes through some
> less-than-stellar neighborhoods on the way to Long
> Beach, how is on-train security for riders?

No problems normally. 

Date: 11/24/15 17:07
Author: Mudrock

There was an auto/light rail accident at 118th Street yesterday morning in Compton.

Chris

Date: 11/25/15 15:15
Author: 251F

And remarkably, as of 15:00 on Wednesday, 25 November, the line is STILL not in through service.  Shuttle busses running between Willowbrook Station and Compton Station.

I can't imagine NJ Transit, Metro North or SEPTA keeping any line out of service this long.

When I picked my wife up yesterday night from Willowbrook Station (to avoid the 20 minute delay of being bussed to Compton Station) just north of the derailment site, there were about 10 people standing around not doing much.  None of the wayside signal boxes were open and no one was actively in the gauge working on anything.  No floodlights, as in daylight repairs only. 

When I dropped her off at Willowbrook Station this morning, the work crew was down to 4 people.

I sure hope by next Monday our pals at Metro Rail have managed the unthinkable, having throught service on the Blue Line restored.

I hope at the next Metro Board Meeting, someone will stand up and ask why it took 3+ days to repair a not so badly damaged right of way.  Do the mental giants in the operations department have Herzog or R. J. Corman's telephone number?

The Blue Line has on the order of 2 million riders a month (https://www.metro.net/news/ridership-statistics/).  It's not like the line is wanting for ridership.

signed,

a frustrated (and alienated) Blue Line patron.

d.

Date: 11/26/15 13:07
Author: casco17

PHall Wrote:
> Cumbresfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Because the Blue line goes through some
> > less-than-stellar neighborhoods on the way to
> Long
> > Beach, how is on-train security for riders?
>
> No problems normally. 
I've ridden this line a few times, during daylight hours, and never encountered a problem.  There are some loud-mouthed passengers from time to time, but they talk among themselves and generally don't pay attention to the rest of us.

Date: 11/28/15 09:13
Author: SP4360

They had to replace a cantenary pole and foundaton, replace the overhead. Concrete takes more than 5 minutes to set.

251F Wrote:
> And remarkably, as of 15:00 on Wednesday, 25
> November, the line is STILL not in through
> service.  Shuttle busses running between
> Willowbrook Station and Compton Station.
>
> I can't imagine NJ Transit, Metro North or SEPTA
> keeping any line out of service this long.
>
> When I picked my wife up yesterday night from
> Willowbrook Station (to avoid the 20 minute delay
> of being bussed to Compton Station) just north of
> the derailment site, there were about 10 people
> standing around not doing much.  None of the
> wayside signal boxes were open and no one was
> actively in the gauge working on anything.  No
> floodlights, as in daylight repairs only. 
>
> When I dropped her off at Willowbrook Station this
> morning, the work crew was down to 4 people.
>
> I sure hope by next Monday our pals at Metro Rail
> have managed the unthinkable, having throught
> service on the Blue Line restored.
>
> I hope at the next Metro Board Meeting, someone
> will stand up and ask why it took 3+ days to
> repair a not so badly damaged right of way.  Do
> the mental giants in the operations department
> have Herzog or R. J. Corman's telephone number?
>
> The Blue Line has on the order of 2 million riders
> a month
> (https://www.metro.net/news/ridership-statistics/)
> .  It's not like the line is wanting for
> ridership.
>
> signed,
>
> a frustrated (and alienated) Blue Line patron.
>
> d.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/15 18:44 by SP4360.

Date: 11/28/15 10:03
Author: irhoghead

I used to ride the Blue Line daily from Long Beach to Los Angeles for years when I lived in Long Beach.  Never had any problems on it day or night.  The sheriff's dept. did a great job of patrolling the trains and stations. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds