Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Passenger Trains > #49 almost on time into Buffalo-Depew

Date: 11/27/15 05:56
#49 almost on time into Buffalo-Depew
Author: twropr

There has been discussion on this board about LAKE SHORE LIMITED #49 not having made it into Buffalo OT for at least two years.  Well, last night #49 arrived BUF at 11:57 pm (2 min. LT) and left at 12:09 am (10 min. LT), was OT leaving Erie and arrived Cleveland at 3:09 am (18 min. AHD).  I'm sure this is the first time in several years that #49 has gotten into BUF before midnight.
I must point out that optimal running time Rochester-BUF is 48 min. and that #49 would never be able to complete its BUF station work in 4 min., so the BUF times are a scheduling error.
Amazing the way Amtrak can perform on a holiday when most of the freights are not running!
Andy​​​

Date: 11/27/15 10:03
Re: #49 almost on time into Buffalo-Depew
Author: jp1822

twropr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There has been discussion on this board about LAKE
> SHORE LIMITED #49 not having made it into Buffalo
> OT for at least two years.  Well, last night #49
> arrived BUF at 11:57 pm (2 min. LT) and left at
> 12:09 am (10 min. LT), was OT leaving Erie and
> arrived Cleveland at 3:09 am (18 min. AHD).  I'm
> sure this is the first time in several years that
> #49 has gotten into BUF before midnight.
> I must point out that optimal running time
> Rochester-BUF is 48 min. and that #49 would never
> be able to complete its BUF station work in 4
> min., so the BUF times are a scheduling error.
> Amazing the way Amtrak can perform on a holiday
> when most of the freights are not running!
> Andy​​​

Amtrak has padding for Buffalo (east and westbound arrival). It's not a scheduling error. The general idea is for the train to arrive earlier than the scheduled arrival time. But as mentioned, that rarely happens. In general getting the Lake Shore across upstate NY  has been a growing challenge each and every year. The sell-off of Comrail didn't help. 

Date: 11/27/15 11:23
Author: The_Chief_Way

The departure time of 1159pm is I'm sure done on purpose so as to be less confusing to
the average customer who doesn't realize a new day starts at midnight. Note the departure
time at SAC for no.14. Same deal. There's no way it can leave at 1159pm, but for reservation
purposes it does.
I dealt with this issue for 40 years with early morning departures on the SW Chief route and
customers showing up one day early or late for a 300am train. It still goes on.

Date: 11/27/15 13:10
Author: joemvcnj

49's poor nightly progress across NYS is due to Amtrak's refusal to position people on the platform in approximately the right locations for destination, trainside seat assignments (if not ticket scanning) and CSX's disgust with the whole pokey affair.

Date: 11/27/15 14:46
Author: jp1822

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 49's poor nightly progress across NYS is due to
> Amtrak's refusal to position people on the
> platform in approximately the right locations for
> destination, trainside seat assignments (if not
> ticket scanning) and CSX's disgust with the whole
> pokey affair.

You got that right!!! Let's remember that upstate NY is part of the EMPIRE CORRIDOR and as such, its stations and platforms (on the main line at least) have been maintained to a higher standard. For example, there are high level platforms at some stops and longer platforms already in place. So the issue of "short platforms" should not be a major issue. It's all about positioning. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds