Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Passenger Trains > LA Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension update

Date: 02/05/16 17:15
LA Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension update
Author: DNRY122

Checking up on the new electric railway between Arcadia and Azusa (east of Pasadena CA), I spotted LRV 1007 (from the Kinki-Sharyo plant in Palmdale) in Arcadia for a test run.  They are supposed to be doing pre-revenue testing this week, but this was the only car I saw in action. The extension is still scheduled to open on March 5.

1)  Station stop at Arcadia.  This is close to the location of the Santa Fe station which is now part of the Rail Giants exhibit at LA County Fairgrounds.  I was standing at the approximate location of the Arcadia Tower which controlled the crossing of the Pacific Electric Monrovia Glendora line and the Santa Fe 2nd District until 1952.

2)  Up the hill without hesitation. There was some concern that westbound Gold Line trains would have a tough climb on the approach to the Santa Anita Ave. bridge.  It helps that the Arcadia Traction Power Substation is just on the other side of the fence, not far from the site of the PE Arcadia Sub.

3)  In the Santa Fe days, the track where the Gold Line is now was called Butler Siding.  1007 is about to cross Highland Ave. and stop at the Duarte station.

Date: 02/06/16 16:12
Re: LA Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension update
Author: jst3751

I am surpised they are only testing with one unit, since the normal consist will be 2 units.

Date: 02/06/16 19:29
Re: LA Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension update
Author: DNRY122

I expect the test program will ramp up in a few days.  The single unit runs are probably "burn-in" testing of the new Kinki-Sharyo cars.  They have been running two car Breda trains, but not at full-schedule headways.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds