Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Passenger Trains > New Northeast Service Advisory

Date: 02/12/16 15:58
New Northeast Service Advisory
Author: andersonb109

So Amtrak's web site says "Northeast Service Advisory." But I clicked on it and nothing recent. Last was about issues with SuperBowl last weekend. I'm on No. 30 tonight, then a Northeast Regional Saturday to Philadelphia. I didn't think any potential bad weather was suppose to arrive until Sunday...and that looks  minimal compared with the previous one. Any info appreciated.

Date: 02/12/16 17:54
Re: New Northeast Service Advisory
Author: regalstream1516

Track problem in tunnel west of NYP, single track for a while this pm.

Date: 02/12/16 18:32
Author: jp1822

The NJT Advisory was warning rail riders it could be a 60 minute delay in getting out of NY Penn to Secaucus/Newark. It went on to bring up the fact that cross-honoring was going to be in effect for those who wanted to use the PATH to get to Hoboken or Newark. I just hope NJT hasn't dropped too much train service out of Hoboken so that Hoboken truly is an option for point of origination as any trains out of NYP that do make it to Newark are going to be PACKED since trains will be less frequent than normal.........

It's too bad Boardman (and Obama for that matter) couldn't have left/made some sort of legacy to really get the access to the "region's core" (NYC) really off the ground.  

Date: 02/12/16 18:43
Author: Lackawanna484

Adding a southeast spur from the NEC to Hoboken might be in Amtrak's interest, too.

And, I've long believed that restoring passenger to the former Jersey Central Hudson River pier should be part of any future project.

The diesel powered trains off the Raritan Valley, North Jersey Coast, and any Amtraks could run through Oak Island, over the Greenville bridge, up the National Docks, and over a half mile to the current ferry service.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/16 05:58 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 02/12/16 19:17
Author: jp1822

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adding a southeast spur from the NEC to Hoboken
> might be in Amtrak's interest, too.
>
> I've long believed that restoring passenger to the
> former Jersey Central Hudson River pier should be
> part of any future project.
>
> The diesel powered trains off the Raritan Valley,
> North Jersey Coast, and any Amtraks could run
> through Oak Island, over the Greenville bridge, up
> the National Docks, and over a half mile to the
> current ferry service.
>
> Posted from Android

Now we are talking about something smart so that if the Hudson River tubes have catstrophic failure - SOMETHING is in place. One would have thought Super Storm Sandy would have been a wake up call, but it was forgotten about - in terms of the tunnels.

But during Super Storm Sandy Hoboken Terminal was woefully inadequate, which I was surprised about. Amtrak would NOT let NJT back on the corridor and into NYP till the second Hudson River Tube was open. I honestly though this was going to start a precedent.

At the time of Super Storm Sandy, I largely worked from home (if that was possible), but when I did have to go into NYC (largely due to charge up and get battery packs for my laptop - I was reduced to one Amtrak train in during the morning and one Amtrak train out in the evening if I wanted to go to my NYC office - when normally I should have been taking NJT.

Date: 02/12/16 17:28
Re: Northeast Service Advisory
Author: BRAtkinson

The weather forecast calls for single digit temperatures along the east coast with below zero wind chill factors.  As you're from the midwest, "normal" temperature for this time of year.  But for us easterners, it's exceptionally cold!

Date: 02/12/16 17:53
Author: regalstream1516

There was a problem in one of the tube tunnels under the Hudson for a while this afternoon during rush hour.  All trains between NYP and New Jersey had to share one tunnel until repairs were made.

Date: 02/13/16 05:32
Author: joemvcnj

19% of NEC and Coast Line passengers,and 43% of Raritan line riders, all of which total to 34,900 loading per day,  are destined for Newark Penn. Your reroute over the LV doesn't work for them.

Date: 02/13/16 06:32
Author: PennPlat

You're right on time through sunny Hyndman, kicking up quite a bit of snow.  30 has a good OT record this month.

Date: 02/13/16 06:54
Author: Lackawanna484

joemvcnj Wrote:
> 19% of NEC and Coast Line passengers,and 43% of
> Raritan line riders, all of which total to 34,900
> loading per day,  are destined for Newark Penn.
> Your reroute over the LV doesn't work for them.
>
>
>
>  

You're right, of course.

But, offering an alternative to the 81% and 57% seems like a good back up plan for everyone.

Having a choice is often a good idea.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/14/16 07:33
Author: elu34ch

jp1822 Wrote:
> The NJT Advisory was warning rail riders it could be a 60 minute delay in getting out of NY Penn to Secaucus/Newark. It went on to bring up the fact
> that cross-honoring was going to be in effect for those who wanted to use the PATH to get to Hoboken or Newark. I just hope NJT hasn't dropped too much
> train service out of Hoboken so that Hoboken truly is an option for point of origination as any trains out of NYP that do make it to Newark are
> going to be PACKED since trains will be less frequent than normal.........
>
> It's too bad Boardman (and Obama for that matter) couldn't have left/made some sort of legacy to
> really get the access to the "region's core" (NYC) really off the ground.  

It's a tragedy that Gov. (my way or the highway) Christy cancelled the project and re-allocated the funds (to make it appear he was balancing the budget).

Date: 02/14/16 11:07
Author: joemvcnj

ARC was of no use to Amtrak. They would have had to build a 5th and th tuunel on their, which would never happen. But the money should have been set aside and given to Gateway project.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0696 seconds