Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Passenger Trains > [FL] All Aboard Florida in Jensen Beach

Date: 04/01/16 14:34
[FL] All Aboard Florida in Jensen Beach
Author: Lackawanna484

I was in Jensen Beach FL this morning, and took the opportunity to check out the crazy intersection with the railroad, Jensen beach Boulevard, Pineapple Drive, West End Boulevard, an exit from a supermarket parking lot, and Candice street. Conveniently organized into a two lane traffic circle which has its own share of frequent traffic accidents.  I've long doubted that this rail section of about a mile could be double tracked without considerable expense.  Unlike much of the railroad, it appears the property on both sides of the single track was sold for highway expansion and real estate development, etc.There's now a strip mall butting the west side of the tracks, a cell tower and auto repair facilities on the east side.

Just north of the circle, the right of way widens, somebody planted palm trees, and created a long, grassy strip between the railroad and Pineapple Drive. The usual FEC property line markers are missing from the east side, although they line the track along the west side, parallel to Candice.

I suspect the cheapest way to straighten this out would be to install a new crossing of the railroad at the end of Candice. So, traffic from Hutchinson Island would cross the railroad, head south on Candice and make a right onto Jensen Beach Boulevard. That would allow the town to make Pineapple one way north from the  current circle to the crossing. If they tore down the palm trees, the AAF could double track down to the circle, leaving about a mile of single track down to the current RIO siding.

Removing that southbound traffic from the island would allow a traffic signal on the west side of the railroad to control much of the eastbound remaining flow. And establish turn lanes as needed.

Pineapple Jack's bistro has a ringside view of the circus at the circle (duly noted)  
1897 NE Jensen Beach Blvd, Jensen Beach, FL 34957

27.2436849,-80.2273297

Date: 04/01/16 15:06
Re: [FL] All Aboard Florida in Jensen Beach
Author: NGotwalt

You should have a look at the one in Stuart, where the A1A/76 roundabout is just off the tracks. I still have yet to successfully navigate that one.
Cheers,
Nick

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/01/16 16:32

NGotwalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should have a look at the one in Stuart, where
> the A1A/76 roundabout is just off the tracks. I
> still have yet to successfully navigate that one.
> Cheers,
> Nick
>
> Posted from iPhone

I am familiar with both traffic circles in Stuart. I posted pictures of them last year. One is called Collision Corner already.

But the railroad has acknowledged these will remain single track. That's why the Jensen circle is so interesting.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/01/16 16:59
Author: jeff56

I was checking out the Jensen Beach Inn - which is a stone's throw from the track.
They have 65 Excellent votes on Trip advisor; below is one of two poor reviews:

"We stayed in the Shark room which is closest to the train tracks.   Every 30 minutes or so the train passed by literally within feet of the inn...
the horn sounded, the brakes sqealed, the window rattled and the bed shook...ALL NIGHT LONG. We literally did not sleep.
All the charm and hospitality in the world cannot make up for that train."

Date: 04/01/16 17:06

Pineapple Jack's Bistro is on the first floor of the Jensen Beach Inn. Can't get much closer to the train than that.

In the JB and Stuart area, a lot of FEC traffic passes between 8pm and 8am. Bad for adjacent hotels

Posted from Android

Date: 04/01/16 19:22
Author: District

The city should probably just make the roundabout a single lane and call it a day. This action typically reduces confusion.

If you think the Inn is close to the track imagine the camper trailers at the NE 1st crossing (due north) that look like the rear bedroom area is backed over the ROW line.

Date: 04/02/16 17:24
Author: kevink

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am familiar with both traffic circles in Stuart.
> I posted pictures of them last year. One is called
> Collision Corner already.

Thanks for the heads up on those roundabouts in Stuart. I was aware of the one in Jensen Beach as I occasionally get calls from other highway design engineers in my company asking for guidance. The one in Jensen Beach is always cited as an example of what they want to do. My advice is always to tell the railroad what the town/city/state wants to do and then listen very carefully to the railroad's reaction. 

Date: 05/16/16 08:11

The traffic circle in Jensen Beach which is bisected by the railroad has closed for maintenance. Should be closed for a few days.

There's a ground level picture of the barrier, looking east on Jensen Beach Boulevard. The Boulevard continues in the distance, but most eastbound traffic travels 270 degrees, and onto Pineapple Avenue.

Should be lots of fun when the quad gates and dividers go in, if they go in.  I think there are 14 lanes of traffic feeding in / out of the circle. If the speed limit for trains is under 80, they may get away with just regular gates. I've heard varying reports on the proposed speed through this area, so we'll have to see what happens.

(Normally, there's not much rail action during the day.  But the accident in Ormond Beach may drive a lot of Monday daylight activity. Which will probably foul up the road improvements.)

Road closed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds