Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Passenger Trains > One step closer for the Ski Train

Date: 04/22/16 19:00
One step closer for the Ski Train
Author: mammothlacrosse

Winter Park got a 1.5 million grant for the passenger platform.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/04/21/bid-to-restart-ski-train-gets-small-boost-with-state-grant/

Date: 04/22/16 20:45
Re: One step closer for the Ski Train
Author: jp1822

mammothlacrosse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Winter Park got a 1.5 million grant for the
> passenger platform.
>
> http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/04/21/bid-to-resta
> rt-ski-train-gets-small-boost-with-state-grant/
>
>  

Please tell me they don't need more - a "platform." Wouldn't they be using Superliners? Amtrak has to make a decision if it is going to be single level or double deckers.......I sure hope this is enough to put down some asphalt and a few benches - and perhaps an overhang. Get the operating agreement in place and a basic station sill do.........

Date: 04/22/16 22:40
Author: highgreengraphics

Yayy - Bring it on in any form (except maybe "Maters" from the Northwest...) === === = === JLH

Date: 04/23/16 06:20
Author: MEKoch

Next the ADA activists will sue the Cityof Winter Park, because the station is not handicapped accessible for skiers.............

Date: 04/23/16 09:28
Author: joemvcnj

They will have to decide if Superliners or Horizon will be the equipment of choice, and then they are locked into that decision forever, because of platform height. Be grateful UP is not demanding gauntlet track at the platform like CSX would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/16 13:36 by joemvcnj.

Date: 04/23/16 13:36
Author: symph1

MEKoch Wrote:
> Next the ADA activists will sue the Cityof Winter
> Park, because the station is not handicapped
> accessible for skiers.............

Winter Park is the home of the National Sports Center for the Disabled. Working with volunteers, you see lots of monoskiers, one-legged skiers, blind skiers, and so on. I have incredible admiration for those folks. Nobody, but nobody, gripes when the lifts slow down for them. I skied WP today -- just got back into my condo  -- and saw a blind skier with a guide and two monoskiers. And this is the very tail end of the season, when the place was almost empty. There's a guy who raises money to bring recently disabled soldiers to WP to spend a weekend learning to ski. It makes an incredible differene in their lives. So don't assume that all skiers are in perfect condition.

MEKoch, I'm not flaming you, just putting out info you might not know,

Mike

Date: 04/25/16 14:22
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

jp1822 Wrote:
> Get the operating agreement in place and a basic station will do.........

But that's no fun.  It's so much more entertaining to go over all the n-th degree minutiae FIRST and work on the operating agreement LAST.  

The Las Vegas Railway Expess people can hold a seminar on how it's done.  

<> Sell baseball caps.  

<> Announce to the press that the train will have female "conductoress-s" that will be prancing about in sexy uniforms.

<> Charter some private cars and invite the press over for a wine and cheese gathering.  

<> Operate some private cars on the back of Amtrak trains to everywhere EXCEPT Winter Park and try to assure everybody that service to that ski resort is "just around the corner."  

<> Forfeit a five-digit non-refundable deposit to the host railroad when certain achievements are not accomplished by specific dates.

<> Get an old, worn out locomotive and paint it in a goofy dark paint scheme that absorbs heat.  

<> Get a hold of some delapidated gellery commuter cars and convince your investors (both of them) that it will make sense to rebuild them to fancy-schmancy specifications.

<> Propose that your primary boarding station be located on one of the busiest freight lines in the nation.

. . . and when all that's done, if you have any money left over, give some thought to working on an operating agreement.      

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds