Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Passenger Trains > NE Corridor Railfanning

Date: 05/01/16 11:48
NE Corridor Railfanning
Author: Ohiorailfan

Im headed out next month near Philly to see that Farewell excursion. Where is a good place, preferably a parking garage where I can take in good action on the NEC and still see the excursion?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/01/16 12:07
Re: NE Corridor Railfanning
Author: Lackawanna484

What time of day do you expect to see it? That makes a difference on the light angles.

The parking deck at 30th street will be jammed, I'm share

Posted from Android

Date: 05/01/16 12:31
Author: Ohiorailfan

Hopefully around noon. If there is a station, I would gladly railfan a station, but a garage seems like it would provide a better angle.

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What time of day do you expect to see it? That
> makes a difference on the light angles.
>
> The parking deck at 30th street will be jammed,
> I'm share
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 05/01/16 13:00
Author: Tominde

You might consider Fox Point State Park (Delaware).  It is only a few hundred yards wide nestled between the NEC and the Delaware River.  Heavy ship traffic (if the tide is right) and heavy parade of NEC at speed can make a fine day.    This is only about a mile or 2 from Wilmington Shops and the special would be slowing for the stop at the shops.   Not likely to be mobbed.   On a reasonably clear day you can see Philly, and it's a very easy drive right off I-95 about 20-25 minutes from Philly.   And if you are in Delaware you can pick up that new camera or lap top.  NO SALES TAX!

Many NEC places are hard to get a view back from the train.  Most views are tight and mostly will be done safely at station platforms.   Perryville or Havre deGrace in Maryland are also interesting near the Susquehanna River bridge.   About an hour or so south from Philly by car.

http://www.destateparks.com/park/fox-point/index.asp

Date: 05/01/16 13:38
Author: chuchubob

I like the Grays Ferry Ave bridge in Philadelphia that goes over SEPTA, Amtrak, CSX, and the Schuylkill River.
file photos of train 79 Carolinian on Sept 21, 2012

Date: 05/01/16 15:18
Author: knotch8

Claymont, DE, is a good station, with a fairly sharp, high-speed curve with a lot of superelevation, and just 2 or 3 miles north of Fox Point State Park.

In Philadelphia, you see a lot of nice photos taken from the South Street bridge.  The Walnut Street bridge isn't as good because of its constrained angles, as well as the construction of the new FMC Tower on the north side of Walnut.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds