Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Passenger Trains > Farewell AME 7 On The NEC Newark, DE

Date: 06/18/16 08:55
Farewell AME 7 On The NEC Newark, DE
Author: Tominde

Here is the 942 special going by the old Chapel St. grade crossing in Newark, DE.  The signal bridge is for Davis interlocking.   A neat story regarding the young man in the picture.  He is from Youngstown, Ohio and drove to this location just for the shot.  He found it on google maps and thought it would look good.  He wanted a signal bridge and straight track.   He was a polite young man and we shared some railfan info and stories.  I hope he got a his shot.  He does not post on TO. 

Amtrak Police on the seen.   Just as I arrive a gentleman and his young son were on the other side of the blocks.  Apparently he had walked out in the gauge to look at something.   Moments later 3  Amtrak police arrived.   They were very polite and asked that man to come back with them and asked him for ID.  They came up and asked us what we witnessed.   After about 10 minutes of talking with the man he got in his car and left.  I do not know if he was given a citation.   They came back to us and cautioned us not to cross the blocks.   Radio chatter indicated more people in the guage at Newark station a half mile south.   I suspect Amtrak police had a busy day.

Date: 06/18/16 10:07
Re: Farewell AME 7 On The NEC Newark, DE
Author: toledopatch

I imagine the person you saw getting a police interview got a verbal warning and his identifying information was entered into Amtrak's database.

Date: 06/18/16 11:08
Author: boejoe

Haven't been to Munich Germany in dozens of years but the tee shirt on the Youngstown OH visitor is from the HofBrau brewery in Munich - probably dating to the 1300's  (the brewery, not the tee shirt - LOL)

Date: 06/18/16 11:09
Author: boejoe

Looks like railfans (on board as well as trackside) got nice weather for this event.

Date: 06/18/16 12:08
Author: RuleG

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't been to Munich Germany in dozens of years
> but the tee shirt on the Youngstown OH visitor is
> from the HofBrau brewery in Munich - probably
> dating to the 1300's  (the brewery, not the tee
> shirt - LOL)

Sorry, that T-shirt is from the Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh.  More information can be found on this link:

Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh

Rail content:

The Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh is part of the South Side Works development which was built on the site of a Jones & Laughlin steel mill which was served by the Monongahela Connecting Railroad.  The Hot Metal Bridge (actually two bridges) was used by the railroad to transport molten steel across the Monongahela River.  The structures are now a road bridge and trail connection linking the Eliza Furnace Trail on the north side of the river and the South Side/Great Allegheny Passage Trail on the south side of the river.

Additionally, CSX's former Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR line passes through the South Side Works in a tunnel near the Hofbrauhaus.

Date: 06/18/16 14:02
Author: Tominde

This is the return southbound trip at the Newark, DE train station cruising at 120 mph.  While the station itself is not in passenger use (it houses Newark historical Society) Amtrak does stop here like twice or so a day.  SEPTA also has numerous trains here. There will be an AME 7 powered train here on Monday morning and nobody will even notice.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0527 seconds