Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Passenger Trains > #3 late into ABQ, why

Date: 06/25/16 16:31
#3 late into ABQ, why
Author: Woodman

Does anyone know why #3 is about 2 hrs late into ABQ today?  Just interested.

Date: 06/25/16 17:22
Re: #3 late into ABQ, why
Author: ATSF1129

Woodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know why #3 is about 2 hrs late into
> ABQ today?  Just interested.

Bad meet with 4 due to sidings being out of service on Glorieta's east flank. Heat restrictions, and Rail Runner interference? Probably all three.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/25/16 20:30
Author: atsffan

#3 was already almost 2 hrs late into Las Vegas.
I'm on #4 and I don't think we held her up too much when we met between Vegas and Raton.
After that, there were a bunch of slow orders that we'd had between ABQ and Raton that likely added the addl 45 min to #3s lateness.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/26/16 04:16
Author: howeld

atsffan Wrote:
> #3 was already almost 2 hrs late into Las Vegas.
> I'm on #4 and I don't think we held her up too
> much when we met between Vegas and Raton.
> After that, there were a bunch of slow orders that
> we'd had between ABQ and Raton that likely added
> the addl 45 min to #3s lateness.
>
> Posted from iPhone

My friend who is leading a bunch of Boy Scouts is also on #4 today from Raton to Chicago.

Date: 06/26/16 04:20
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Boy Scouts on #3 or #4, Egad ! Glad we aren't on there with them. In the past they were a bunch of unsupervised hooligan types running all over the train, day and night.

Date: 06/26/16 05:09

Boy Scouts on trains 3 and 4 are a fact of life in the summer and one of the reasons the train continues to operate on its historical route. Choose the timing of your trip accordingly.
It is up to the leaders to make sure the boys behave themselves. Some do a better job than other but get a group of 14-16 year olds likely on their first long trip without parents and they will be excited and rambunctious.
After hiking 80 miles over two weeks carrying 50lb pack with all food and camping equipment I'm sure they are much calmer on the return trip.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/26/16 07:46
Author: joemvcnj

Most of us wanted this train to remain on its route, but it has its limitations when it comes to recovering from delays.

I was told by a LSA about 20 years ago that Boy Scouts with their high metabolism can eat the snack car out of house and home, and all they want are cheeseburgers, pizzas and Pepsi's, so he would order extra if he knew they'd be coming. This route needs an NM or CO version of Havre Box Car lunches

On another occasion, they were corralled into Santa Fe high level coach with AC not working. So they were running around in their underwear. The coach attendant was not happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/16 07:51 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/26/16 09:59
Author: SandHouseTalk

Sunday's #3 into Albuquerque, NM has been delayed account of striking vehice just before arriving Trinidad, CO.  No further details known at this time.

Date: 06/26/16 10:05
Author: mapboy

#3 went past the Cajon webcam in daylight, at 0755, with two PVs on the rear, put on in Albuquerque.  It's the two PVs in Aronco's (Norm Orfall) group, returning to L.A.  There was no one on the rear to wave to the camera.

mapboy

Date: 06/26/16 10:53
Author: korotaj

I been on the trains many times with scouts---never any problems. Leaders always seemed to on the lookout for trouble. Way better than the lowlife in the lounge car.

Date: 06/26/16 11:06
Author: Cumbresfan

mapboy Wrote:
> #3 went past the Cajon webcam in daylight, at
> 0755, with two PVs on the rear, put on in
> Albuquerque.  It's the two PVs in Aronco's (Norm
> Orfall) group, returning to L.A.  There was no
> one on the rear to wave to the camera.
>
> mapboy

Probably enjoying Chef Alan's wonderful breakfast in Tioga Pass dining room or still getting up (#3 was 2+ hours late leaving ABQ). They enjoyed three days in ABQ despite the heat. Trip to Cumbres and Toltec, Santa Fe on the Rail Runner and personalized tour of 2926 restoration. I joined them for some activities in the area.

Date: 06/26/16 11:13
Author: Cumbresfan

SandHouseTalk Wrote:
> Sunday's #3 into Albuquerque, NM has been delayed
> account of striking vehice just before arriving
> Trinidad, CO.  No further details known at this
> time.

Thanks for the info - I saw the "service disruption" notice on the Amtrak Status site.

Date: 06/26/16 11:26
Author: The_Chief_Way

I understand there are sidings out of service due to being filled with stored cars on the LaJunta Sub west of Hutchinson (KS)
so that when No.4 is running pretty late ( an all-too frequent problem this time of year ) the meets with No.3 which is always 
given priority due to the crew turn at Dodge City are way worse than they should be.

Date: 06/26/16 12:02
Author: dan

3 still in trinidad sun 1 pm it appears

Date: 06/26/16 14:12
Author: wa4umr

I was on a trip about 7 or 8 years ago with a bunch of scouts.  As a mater of fact, I think Amtrak added a coach to handle them.  They occupied a coach and a half.  They had excellent leaders.  There were a few that made a couple of trips through the coach but because they were in uniform, they were more noticeable than any other group that may have been on the train that day.  Overall, they were well behaved.

On a trip on the Coast Sunlight about the same time, there were a bunch, probably 40 youth and some leaders that were going camping around Chemulth.  Chemult doesn't have checked baggage but Amtrak allowed their backpacks to be check to Chemult.  As the train arrived they were off the train pretty quickly and at the baggage car.  As the attendant moved the backpacks to the door, the scouts were taking them off immediately.  The entire stop was probably about 5 minutes longer than a normal stop.  Not bad for that many passengers getting off at that station.  Some lady and her two daughters caused more of a problem but that's another story for another time.

I hate to rat out on people but I also hate to see a group causing trouble for everyone else.  I've been involved in Boy Scouts for about 35 years.  I've seen some really great leaders and I've seen some pretty bad ones also.  I hope that I've been in the pretty good list.  Good leaders have good scouts.  The scouts learn real quickly what they can get by with and they will push that limit if allowed to.  The great leaders will control it before it gets out of hand.  If the scouts are traveling in their full uniform, the uniforms should have a shoulder patch on the left sleeve that will identify the Council they are representing.  If they are traveling as a troop they will all have the same numbers under that patch.  If it's a Council sponsored trip, the troop numbers will all be different.  The BSA wants a good face in the public and at least in the council I'm involved in, takes serious any negative reports.  It's an honor to lead a group of scouts to the camp at Philmont.  If  you encounter a group causing a problem, you can get back to the council headquarters by using the council name and going to the BSA website.  There is no excuse for bad behavior in scouting.  

John

Date: 06/26/16 14:24
Author: irhoghead

Amen to that. In all of my years of riding #3 and #4, never had any issues with the Scouts. Low life drunks in the lounge car yes, but Scouts no.

Date: 06/26/16 15:40
Author: cajon

#3 went past the Cajon webcam in daylight, at 0755, with two PVs on the rear, put on in Albuquerque.  It's the two PVs in Aronco's (Norm Orfall) group, returning to L.A.  There was no one on the rear to wave to the camera. 

mapboy

On the back platform from Lugo to SB. Nice daylight trip down Cajon.
Dennis

Date: 06/27/16 04:12
Author: czach1083

Go to Colorado highway patrol crash report. Five people killed in a car at a crossing.

Date: 06/27/16 06:19

czach1083 Wrote:
> Go to Colorado highway patrol crash report. Five
> people killed in a car at a crossing.

This discussion was started about previous days train.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.08 seconds