Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Passenger Trains > The UK rail network is rubbish because of Churchill’s advisor

Date: 07/19/16 07:56
The UK rail network is rubbish because of Churchill’s advisor
Author: johnpage

An interesting story about future gross miscalculations in Great Britain that held back the redevelopment of passenger rail, perhaps not unlike what happened in the United States with Car and Highway Fever coupled with the development of the Boeing 707.

http://ccrail.com/the-uk-rail-network-is-rubbish-because-churchills-advisor-thought-wed-all-be-commuting-by-air-by-now/

Date: 07/19/16 08:00
Re: The UK rail network is rubbish because of Churchill’s advis
Author: chrsjrcj

Date: 07/19/16 08:49
Author: LiveWire

chrsjrcj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why not just link straight to the
> source

Maybe he's affiliated with the middlemen?

Date: 07/19/16 09:26
Author: andersonb109

The great Mr. Churchill had much more to worry about during that era in history than the state of the railways. 

Date: 07/19/16 09:40
Author: johnpage

It is considered good Internet etiquette when a website publishes or links to a story to allow them to have the clicks; it's how websites measure their popularity and commercial worth. If I find something worthwhile to share with Trainorders, I don't try and shortcut the source where I found it. It also allows other to see this railroad industry news source which apparently is updated at least daily.

Date: 07/19/16 15:13
Author: illini73

andersonb109 Wrote:
> The great Mr. Churchill had much more to worry about during that era in history than the state of the railways.

Franklin D. Roosevelt too, apparently.  A plank was proposed for the 1944 Democratic Party Platform involving government investment in higher-speed trains.  FDR's comment?  "Trains go too fast as it is", and the plank was dropped.  (Quote is from an endnote in the book Roosevelt and Hopkins by Robert E. Sherwood.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/16 15:14 by illini73.

Date: 07/19/16 22:11
Author: cchan006

johnpage Wrote:
> It is considered good Internet etiquette when a
> website publishes or links to a story to allow
> them to have the clicks; it's how websites measure
> their popularity and commercial worth. If I find
> something worthwhile to share with Trainorders, I
> don't try and shortcut the source where I found
> it. It also allows other to see this railroad
> industry news source which apparently is updated
> at least daily.
>

I see no obvious social media creepiness from ccrail.com, so I have no problems with your reasons. However, Internet etiquette could be an oxymoron.

At least, UK is genuinely trying to improve their passenger rail network today. Lord Cherwell and his eccentricities are long gone, and hopefully, no longer influence UK's transportation policies.

People who don't want to read the article can rant against the title of this thread all day. There's very little if any slander against Winston Churchill. I got a smile out of what's implied in the article, that if you don't like trains, you are a weirdo. I should be nice and call ourselves Anti-Train Weirdos instead of Train Stupid?

Date: 07/19/16 22:17
Author: MojaveBill

I've ridden trains in the UK and I wish we had their foresight here...One of the owners of a UK rail passenger line is building space ships here in Mojave.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/20/16 04:32
Author: Ray_Murphy

MojaveBill Wrote:
> I've ridden trains in the UK and I wish we had
> their foresight here...One of the owners of a UK
> rail passenger line is building space ships  [high-tech amusement park rides for stupid people with too much money on their hands]  here
> in Mojave.

Fixed it for you!

Ray

Date: 07/20/16 05:58
Author: Lackawanna484

The labor situation on the British Rail was a mess when Churchill made his return engagement. The Labour party had nationalised and merged the companies, given a huge pay boost, etc.

Not much the Tories could do with that.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0944 seconds