Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Passenger Trains > Question about Amtrak Michigan construction

Date: 07/23/16 20:15
Question about Amtrak Michigan construction
Author: jdw3460

Does anyone know what has been done between Kalamazoo and Ann Arbor on the Amtrak Wolverine route construction.  I read once that there were slow orders here and there and I wondered what's being done this summer.
jdw3460

Date: 07/25/16 05:08
Re: Question about Amtrak Michigan construction
Author: PC1974

Seems expectations are falling short now.. This summer's track work is now reported two months behind schedule. And that's just restoring the MC to a 79mph RR. No incremental improvements or PTC anytime soon. Very little work is being done, and the only plausible explanation might be that the budgets are spent. End of the fiscal year is end of Sept, maybe some money gets released after that. Ya think MIDOT is happy with the investment? Ya think MIDOT is happy with the Wolverine service reduction now only two round trips?

Date: 07/25/16 09:32
Re: Question about Amtrak Michigan construction
Author: jdw3460

Thanks for the info.   It doesn't surprise me.  Yes, MDOT should be highly pi**ed.  If they're waiting for money on Oct. 1, then obviously they didn't plan the current FY very well.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid Amtrak is going the way of most government bureaucracies (like NASA, where I worked for 34 years).  As the bureaucracy grows and the deadwood gets promoted upward, the performance goes down until all incoming funds, if there are any, are used to maintain the bureaucracy.  When that happens, the best thing to do is take the horse out behind the barn and shoot it.  Hopefully, there would be another young colt to take over for 40 years, but in the case of Amtrak I doubt if there would be another colt.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds