Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Passenger Trains > Birmingham's Daily Ritual

Date: 07/26/16 20:58
Birmingham's Daily Ritual
Author: walstib

In what is a daily ritual for Amtrak's Crescent, the conductor throws a hand switch before the train can pull out of the Birmingham depot track and continue on its journey to New York.

Date: 07/27/16 02:33
Re: Birmingham's Daily Ritual
Author: jeff56

No tie, no hat? Does he have to reposition the switch once the train is on the main?

Date: 07/27/16 06:29
Author: walstib

Yes, after clearing the switch, the train stops and waits for the conductor to return it to the mainline position. Both 19 & 20 go through this ritual at the north end of the depot. I couldn't really tell from my vantage point what happens down at the south end.

Date: 07/27/16 07:01
Author: twropr

When Amtrak took over operation of the CRESCENT in about 1983, station was changed from the Southern Station (on the route towards Sheffield, which required  a back-up move) to the former L&N station.  To reach the L&N station from the south 14th St. Tower has a switch that connects the SOU to the L&N; however, the switch at the north end of the depot (from the L&N back to the SOU) was and remains hand-thrown.
Andy

Date: 07/27/16 09:31
Author: Latebeans

How picturesque and quaint!  Another small example of 19th century/3rd world passenger railroading, of which we have far too many.

Date: 07/27/16 09:37
Author: whistlepig

You would never see an SP conductor out of uniform like that.

Date: 07/27/16 10:09
Author: ctillnc

When rumors circulated in 1978 about Amtrak's taking over the train from the Southern, some people said there was no way to get the train in and out of the ex-L&N station without a backup move. By my count it currently takes 12 switches between the station track and the Southern passenger main east of 32nd Street. If I recall correctly, in 1979 (not 1983) more of those were hand-throws. 

And of course, twice a day the Crescent ties up both the NS main and the CSX main in the process.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 10:11 by ctillnc.

Date: 07/27/16 12:52
Author: sums007

whistlepig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would never see an SP conductor out of uniform
> like that.

​I had a SCA that was out of uniform at Penn Station.  I don't think he expected the red cap passengers to be waiting on the platform when the train pulled in from Sunnyside to load up. 

Date: 07/27/16 15:07
Author: irhoghead

If you've ever ridden the Builder between Shelby, MT, and Minot, ND, you might see a conductor or two not exactly up to spec. in their uniform appearance. It's a different world up there.

Date: 07/27/16 17:06
Author: wa4umr

NO HARDHAT?  Doesn't he know that something dangerous could fall out of the sky at any time?

OK, Just kidding about some of the safety rules from OSHA and a zillion other agencies that make up all the rules.  Do you need a hardhat to cut grass?  I guess you do if you're going to stick you head under the mower deck.  I'm surprised he doesn't have a vest on.

John

Date: 07/28/16 06:24
Author: ctillnc

Wouldn't surprise me if the temperature was mid-high 90s with dewpoints in mid-high 70s. Try it in the sun with a vest and a hardhat.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds