Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Passenger Trains > Lockers at Chicago Union Station

Date: 07/27/16 13:01
Lockers at Chicago Union Station
Author: MILW86A

I m riding the CZ into Chicago then the Cap out of there to PIT. Has anyone used the lockers at CUS and how much do they charge?  And the biggest question, has anyone had any problems with them?

Just dont want to carry my luggae around for 3 hours if I dont have to.

TIA,

MILW86A

Date: 07/27/16 13:04
Re: Lockers at Chicago Union Station
Author: DavidP

You didn't mention if you're traveling in coach or sleeper, but if the latter the Metropolitan Lounge off the Great Hall will store your bags for free.

Dave

Date: 07/27/16 14:04
Author: railstiesballast

IIRC there are lockers in the baggage claim area, maybe a dollar or two for one big enough for a suitcase.  I never used them myself.

Date: 07/27/16 14:53
Author: californiarails

I used the lockers (I traveled in coach) last winter for the day while touring the city before picked up by my host. No problem with them at all. They offer different sizes at different rates. For a large locker: $4 per hour, $12 over 3 hours and up to 24 hours. For a "jumbo" locker: $6 per hour, $16 over 3 hours up to 24 hours. More information about the pricing and sizing can be found on the Chicago Union Station webpage.

Be mindful that boarding for long distance trains at CUS can begin about 30-45 minutes before departure from my prior experience. There are great places to grab a bite to eat and you can enjoy the nearby riverfront during your station stop.

Best,
Jonathan

Date: 07/27/16 16:55
Author: wa4umr

I had an unusual problem with them a few years ago.  Haven't used them now for about 5 years so things may have changed.  They use a copy of your fingerprint when you retrieve your luggage.  You put your finger on the fingerprint reader when you leave you stuff and again when you pick it up.  When I tried to get my luggage it wouldn't read the fingerprint.  I had to get someone to open it for me.  He ask if I had been to the restroom recently.  I had.  He ask if I washed my hands good.  Again, "yes."  "How recently?" he ask.  I was wondering about his line of questions and then he told me, "It's a common problem.  People wash the oil off their hands and try to open the lockers and the fingerprint readers won't read the fingerprints.  Try again in 15 or 20 minutes and it will work."  He opened my locker for me.  After that I got to thinking, I probably could have run my fingers through my hair or rubbed the hair on the back of my neck and been OK.  

John

Date: 07/27/16 21:17
Author: RuleG

Last couple of times I used the lockers, the opening device wouldn't read my fingerprint and I had to ask for an attendant's help to open the locker.  Perhaps a new system is being used.

With respect to food, I recommend the Metra Market located on the street level of the nearby Ogilvie Transportation Center.

Metra Market

Date: 07/28/16 09:14
Author: retcsxcfm

So what I have done in the past.If you check your liggage
just leave it in the baggage room until you are ready to go.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.
just a picture taker.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds