Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Passenger Trains > Long Distance Train Arrivals at Chicago Today

Date: 08/21/16 16:12
Long Distance Train Arrivals at Chicago Today
Author: Winnemucca

Long distance trains arrived at Chicago Union Station today, Sunday August 21, 2016 as follows:                                                                                          

#4- 13 mins late.                                                                              
#6 - 25 mins early. Left Emeryville 9 mins late.                           
#8 - OT, Left Seattle 30 mins late.                                                                          
#22 - 2 mins late.                  
#29 - Left Pittsbugh On Time. No times reported Alliance to Chicago. Service Disruption.
#49 - 1 hr, 39 mins late.                                                               
#851 - 10 mins early.                                                                                    
#58 - 4 hrs, 55 mins late. Service Disruption.                                                                                  

Unless otherwise indicated, all trains departed their originating stations within 5 mins of "On Time" (or were reported On Time, or early, at some point in their rout 

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/16 16:17 by Winnemucca.

Date: 08/22/16 06:29
Re: Long Distance Train Arrivals at Chicago Today
Author: CPRR

I am curious. Really. Not trying to start a flame war, but why would a person who lives on the redwood coast of CA want to give the world a daily arrival times in Chicago? Why not another city? How do you get the times of arrival and departure?

Again, just wondering

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/22/16 06:59
Author: Setandcentered

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> How do you get the times of arrival and
> departure?
>
> Again, just wondering
>
> Posted from iPhone

Dixielandsoftware.net

Date: 08/22/16 14:31
Author: Winnemucca

The previous post showed how I get the info (occasionally when clarification is wanted I use Amtrak.com).

As to why I (a west coaster) do it is a very good question.

I do as my little bit of a contribution to consumer activism. As taxpayers we are all in a somewhat analogous position to shareholders in a typical company. We have a vested interest in how "our" company is performing. On time arrivals at any point in the system can be a good "snap shot" indication of the management ability (or lack thereof) of the US railroad system. On time departures from originating terminals are a good indicator of Amanagement's ability and willingness  to initiate the operation of trains in a manner that passengers expect. Likewise on time operation at intermediate and final destinations are a good indicator of the ability/willingness of Amtrak's contracting freight railroad "partners" to operate trains according to their contractual and legal obligations to Amtrak and it's partners.

I chose Chicago because it is the busiest terminal for long distance trains. It would be nice to post the info daily for all terminals but as one person that would be beyond my abilities.
Kind of a nerdy thing but I enjoy it. Good to know someone is watching the "store".

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 08/22/16 15:00
Author: Jimbo

John, thank you for taking the time to post this information.  I look at it several times a week and like to see what's going on with the timekeeping of long distance trains headed into Chicago, especially if I'm headed that way soon.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds