Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Passenger Trains > Ride the special train to Perris and OERM on Saturday 10/1/2016

Date: 08/23/16 23:20
Ride the special train to Perris and OERM on Saturday 10/1/2016
Author: ArroyoValley

Pacific Railroad Society is running a special train to Perris on Saturday October 1, 2016. Get your tickets now for the FIRST Saturday excursion train to Perris!  This is Pacific Railroad Society's 80th year running excursions and is #552.  Admission to the Orange Empire Railway Museum and lunch are included.  The plan is to go out the San Gabriel sub to Perris, and then back on the San Bernardino sub through Fullerton. The train departs Los Angeles Union Station at 8:10 in the morning for a full day of fun and photography!  Buy tickets online at http://www.PacificRailroadSociety.org.  See you there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/16 22:23 by ArroyoValley.

Date: 08/24/16 06:43
Re: Ride the special train to Perris and OERM on Saturday 10/1/20
Author: DavidJustinLynch

Question: Why a bus...aren't there tracks to OERM? Even if Metrolink won't go there, cant OERM send a shuttle train to Perris?

Date: 08/24/16 08:13
Author: webmaster

It is only two miles, and an historic bus would be pretty neat.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 08/24/16 08:35
Author: TomPlatten

The rail connection to the Perris transit center is not complete! The contractor filled our slot at the station with ballast all the way to the platform. All of that has to be dug out before the rails and ties can be put in, rails extended to our PVL lead and interlocking signals installed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/16 08:54 by TomPlatten.

Date: 08/24/16 09:44
Author: mundo

I understand that OERM has to pay for the crossing work that was done by contractor.   Museum was not allowed to do the two street crossing projects.

But a long shot, that sure Metrolink would never go for, is to move the train on south to the Museum, as the interchange track and signals are in per Toms remark.

Date: 08/24/16 11:14
Author: NebraskaZephyr

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But a long shot, that sure Metrolink would never
> go for, is to move the train on south to the
> Museum, as the interchange track and signals are
> in per Toms remark.

Such a resolution is not out of the question, it depends on the relationship OERM has with Metrolink.

If there were OERM members that also just happened to be employed in T&E service on Metrolink to serve as a pilot crew and a professionally-qualified track inspector (BNSF, UP, Metrolink or a contracted railway engineering firm) was satisfied the museum trackage was safe for the movement, that could well shut down the nay-sayers.

Illinois Railway Museum has had an excellent relationship with its connecting railroad, Union Pacific (and C&NW before that) and multiple excursions (operated under Amtrak, Metra and UP auspices) have entered IRM property and loaded/unloaded at our main station. I even had the privilege of piloting the UP executive Es and the Domeliner excursion consist in and out of IRM in 1996.

Part of the reason IRM is able to do this is because many key members of the Museum also hold full-time professional positions in track, signal and operations, so their work and opinions hold some standing with the common-carriers. Don't know the makeup of OERM's membership, but if any such professional expertise can be brought to bear, it couldn't hurt!

OTOH, you have the bus people that want their moment in the sun, too, so maybe it's better to include them in the festivities than monkey with all the negotiations for moving the train onto the grounds.

Wish I were in the neighborhood that day, would love to do this trip!

NZ

Date: 08/24/16 12:08
Author: Mudrock

I just got my ticket nice and easy! How do i get my ticket though?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/16 12:14 by Mudrock.

Date: 08/24/16 14:23
Author: Mudrock

I will get a E mail in a couple of days  explaining how to get my tickey per the PRS!

Chris

Date: 08/24/16 17:54
Author: PHall

TomPlatten Wrote:
> The rail connection to the Perris transit center
> is not complete! The contractor filled our slot at
> the station whith ballast all the way to the
> platform. All of that has to be dug out before the
> rails and ties can be put in, rails extended to
> our PVL lead and interlocking signals installed!
>  

Slot was filled to the platform to eliminate the falling hazard that would exist if they didn't.
Otherwise there would have to be a fence to keep people away from the hazard.
This is a working train/bus "Transportation Center" afterall and people have a habit of hurting themselves.

Date: 08/25/16 09:00
Author: TomPlatten

The fence was in place way back when construction started and was maintained all along the track to keep people off the ROW as there was frequent freight traffic. I realize why the ballast was used to fill the space but it does complicate the job for us! There is a lot of ballast in there!

Date: 08/25/16 09:18
Author: PHall

TomPlatten Wrote:
> The fence was in place way back when construction
> started and was maintained all along the track to
> keep people off the ROW as there was frequent
> freight traffic. I realize why the ballast was
> used to fill the space but it does complicate the
> job for us! There is a lot of ballast in there!

Just means more ballast for you guys to use on the rest of the track!

Date: 08/25/16 18:04
Author: zuchrew

I think the excursion is a great idea, but at $95 per ticket!  Are they giving away brass engines are part of the fare?

Roy Wojahn

Date: 08/25/16 18:09
Author: mundo

Charter train costs are VERY high  plus the insurance cost.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1258 seconds