Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Passenger Trains > Tie Replacement on NJT's RVL

Date: 09/06/16 12:56
Tie Replacement on NJT's RVL
Author: Pattenburg

It is day six of NJT's tie replacement project on their Raritan Valley Line. MOW is seen getting ties ready for insertion on the North Branch Viaduct (RVL MP 38.3) as seen from the River Road Bridge in North Branch. Those white MOW trucks are parked near what was once the location of CP STONE. In an undated photo 4105 is seen heading west past CP STONE and about to pass over the North Branch Viaduct on its noon day run to Phillipsburg (NJ).

Date: 09/06/16 13:40
Re: Tie Replacement on NJT's RVL
Author: elu34ch

Great photos BURG. 4105 is mid to late 70s pre-welded rail.

Date: 09/06/16 16:23
Author: DocJohn

Pictrue wouild have had to been after January 1978.  I moved out of Raritan Borough that month and GP-40P locomtives were still in the 3600 series.  I am looking at a picture of 3683 the Saturday they stopped using the tracks right in front of Raritan station.

John

Date: 09/06/16 18:16
Author: Out_Of_Service

looks like they're replacing every tie on that bridge ... they'll have to make several passes to keep gage ...

Date: 09/06/16 20:01
Tie Replacement on NJT's RVL
Author: jp1822

Anyone know what the fastest piece of railroad (likely when this was the full Jersey Central main line with 3 to 4 tracks) what is now the NJT Raritan Valley Line. for example was it the stretch between Westfield and Somerville non-stop at XY mph. I would think that when this railroad was in its prime with the Crusader coming up from Philly, the line being also used as a gateway for the B&O, and some of the long distance Jersey Centrals it had the capability in certain sections to really offer some high speed rail running - particularly at the grade seperation areas.

Date: 09/07/16 06:22
Author: joemvcnj

Those coaches were gone by 1982. The 2nd track was gone before I moved there in 1992. The jointed rail lasted until the mid-1990's. The current CWR was picked up from places east of Raritan, welded, and relaid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/16 08:09 by joemvcnj.

Date: 09/07/16 08:44
Author: DocJohn

Sometime between 1975 and 1977, the signals between Raritan and Hampton were placed with the single-tracking on the line between those points.  Somewhere in my slide collection, I have pictures of all the signals that were accessible from local roads.  Will post if someone can give me approxiamte date.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds