Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Passenger Trains > Lake Shore trip report

Date: 10/20/16 18:52
Lake Shore trip report
Author: lowerberth

Rode 48 last week, Chicago to Schenectady.   The new Union Station Metropolitan Lounge is a nice way to start off.  Left on time and sleeping car attendant was excellent.  Friendly, kept the car in nice order and offered assistance through-out.  Also on duty all night, unlike this summer's trip on Empire Builder where attendant announced each evening, if anything was needed during the night the conductor could be found in the dining car. 

I found the Am-dinette to be adequate.    Menu a bit more limited, and french toast a little spongier than full diner prepares.  Ride was a lot more smooth and quiet from the old dinning cars that had become rattle traps.  Same plates as full diners, but plastic utensils and paper napkins and a stack of butcher paper on the tables.    Still understaffed, and lead attendant really hustled, but kept her good humor.  There was one hapless server, who muttered this wasn't his usual job or something.   Took a while to get order placed, but then it came quickly.   Amazing what they pulled off given limited preparation and storage areas (did run out of some entrees).    Lunch was by reservation.  

Fatal flaw of course is timekeeping.  Half-hour late from Cleveland to Utica, then lost another hour into Schenectady.  Makes the trip too long.   I did check the train arrived New York only 20-minutes down, so I guess on-time for the performance report.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds