Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Passenger Trains > Electrical lockers in lightweight sleepers

Date: 10/27/16 06:36
Electrical lockers in lightweight sleepers
Author: stuporchief

Do any existing Budd or Pullman post-war lightweight sleeping cars have the electrical locker in the end of car farthest from the vestibule? Most seem to have been built with the locker at the vestibule end.

Thanks for any helpful infomation!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/16 06:36 by stuporchief.

Date: 10/27/16 08:14
Re: Electrical lockers in lightweight sleepers
Author: Topfuel

That's an interesting question that I've never thought about.  Off hand, I can think of several post-war car types that had the locker at the non-vestibule end, but not any sleepers.  I wonder if that was a Pullman Company specification?

Date: 10/27/16 10:16
Author: RailThunder

In my experience most all the lockers were close to the vestibule end.  The locker by the non vestibule end typically was for additonal condiment storage i.e. towels, washcloths, sheets etc.

Date: 10/27/16 10:56
Author: Walschaert

Typically, having the blower at the vestibule end allowed for an easy fresh air intake, and having the blower close to the electric locker facilitated the wiring.

Date: 10/27/16 13:50
Author: tonymarchiando

Frisco and Katy sleepers, all 14-4, Pullman built,  had their electrical lockers in the middle of the car, where the aisle jogged between the bedrooms and roomettes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds