Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Passenger Trains > Questions about Sunset Limited?

Date: 01/03/17 07:46
Questions about Sunset Limited?
Author: amtrakbill

I'll be traveling from LAX to San Marcos Texas next week.  Does anyone have some answers to these questions?

What time do they board the train in LAX

I have a sleeper to San Antonio and then coacth from San Antonio to San Marcos.  

Can I stay in the sleeper until just before the departure of the Eagle to San Marcos since the train arrives in SAS at 450am?

Thanks Bill

Date: 01/03/17 07:51
Re: Questions about Sunset Limited?
Author: KansasCityChief

you board early at 830pm for first class passengers; the dining car will be open for  first class passengers

Date: 01/03/17 07:54
Author: chendermi

It probably depends on occupancy of your sleeping car compartment on departure from San Antonio--will the attendant need to make up the room for a customer boarding at San Antonio?

Date: 01/03/17 09:17
Author: kbmiflyer

Are you in a sleeper on the 2 or the 422?    If you are on the 2, you may have to get off earlier as they split the train and you will be on the wrong half of the split.  If you are on the 422, you may be allowed to stay in the bedroom longer depending on if it is sold or not.  

Date: 01/03/17 13:17

On on train number 2 and must change to coach over to 22.  For some reason there wasn't a through room avaialbe when I called.

Thanks 

Date: 01/03/17 13:33
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

KansasCityChief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you board early at 830pm for first class
> passengers; the dining car will be open for
>  first class passengers

8:30P may be a little optimistic. Usually closer to 9P or just thereafter. And the Dining Car is NOT open on boarding night in LA. The SSL Cafe is open however for a few hours. 

Date: 01/03/17 14:03
Author: KansasCityChief

first class only ; not coach passengers

Date: 01/03/17 14:08

KansasCityChief Wrote:
> first class only ; not coach passengers

I dunno what you're referring to, but for the normal 10P departure from LA, the Dining Car is open neither for sleeper nor coach pax. First meal is breakfast. Cafe is open after ticket pull for a few hours as mentioned. 

Date: 01/03/17 17:02
Author: SunsetLtd

Actually I read awhile back they were going to start doing this as part of a service upgrade. They would back the set in early and allow for early boarding and the Diner would be open (for Sleeper passengers, and the "Just for you" at seat meal service for the Coaches). I'm not sure if it has been implemented yet.

ColdRainAndSnow Wrote:
> KansasCityChief Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > you board early at 830pm for first class
> > passengers; the dining car will be open for
> >  first class passengers
>
> 8:30P may be a little optimistic. Usually closer
> to 9P or just thereafter. And the Dining Car is
> NOT open on boarding night in LA. The SSL Cafe is
> open however for a few hours. 

Date: 01/03/17 17:40

I don't question the possibility, just haven't seen evidence of it yet. Perhaps Amtrak Bill can report back with his latest experience next week. 

Date: 01/03/17 19:48

I'll let everyone know
Leaving Friday 1-13

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/04/17 02:00
Author: mp51w

I did the 2 to 22 layover in November at San Antonio.
It was kind of a pain, but I watched the police pull a lady off the train and interrogate her.
Ambulance showed up and gave her a going over.  She was a mess and causing trouble in the coaches.
That was entertainment for a half hour.  I then went inside the waiting room and watched CNN for a while.

Date: 01/04/17 04:48
Author: P

I can't believe anyone watches CNN anymore.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1322 seconds