Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak: Service to Roanoke is a GO!

Date: 01/05/17 12:29
Amtrak: Service to Roanoke is a GO!
Author: Lackawanna484

Washington Post reports that Fall of 2017 will see the new train, which WaPo described as a Charlottesville to Roanoke train. And threw in a tidbit that Virginia is looking at a second train on that line.

(This is a state sponsored line. VA has aggressively expanded its rail network in recent years under both Democratic and Republican governors)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/amtrak-adding-expansion-to-roanoke-from-charlottesville/2017/01/05/44c972fe-d356-11e6-9651-54a0154cf5b3_story.html?utm_term=.964c98d4b792

Date: 01/05/17 12:52
Re: Amtrak: Service to Roanoke is a GO!
Author: wtsherman100

They really need that second train to make this expansion a success.  Would be nice if this whole line could be upgraded to support at least 90 mph, but I doubt that's possible.  Last time I rode it there were some dreadfully rough sections.

Date: 01/05/17 13:00
Author: RNinRVR

This 'new' service is nothing more than an extension of the current Lynchburg, VA train west to Roanoke. More regional trains on this route would be nice and sure well used if NS would agree to run them.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 01/05/17 14:05
Author: amtrakbill

Does anyone know if this service will stop in Bedford Virginia?

Date: 01/05/17 14:10
Author: Dcmcrider

Very unlikely. Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation's study of capital costs and projected ridership was not encouraging. 

amtrakbill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know if this service will stop in
> Bedford Virginia?

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/17 14:51 by Dcmcrider.

Date: 01/05/17 14:44
Author: Jimbo

Dcmcrider Wrote:
> Very unlikely. Virginia Department of Rail and
> Public Transit's study of capital costs and
> projected ridership was not encouraging. 
>
> amtrakbill Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does anyone know if this service will stop in
> > Bedford Virginia?

"Not at this time."  See this from Trainorders two weeks ago. 

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4185913 

Also in the works is a "mid-day" Lynchburg train, an extension of one of the early morning trains out of NYP.  After terminating in Lynchburg mid-morning, it will turn back in the afternoon.  There has been no public announcement as to when this service will begin. 

As was mentioned, the new Roanoke train is an extension of the present Lynchburg trains, originating/terminating in Boston weekdays and New York or Springfield on Saturday and Sunday.  The Roanoke Times had an article on December 8 naming the Roanoke station platform contractor (Faulconer Construction Company).  That work is expected to begin early this year with completion in time for a late 2017 service launch.  The "platform" work includes a new track for the platform. 

http://www.roanoke.com/business/news/roanoke/charlottesville-contractor-chosen-to-build-roanoke-s-passenger-train-platform/article_03d0b32a-4445-5fc1-81a7-35ffa09dee3a.html 

Jim

Date: 01/05/17 15:57
Author: ProAmtrak

I wish it was sooner, planning on seeing 611 in May!

Posted from Android

Date: 01/05/17 16:55
Author: mpatrickstone

Its a pretty safe bet that She will Be in front of the first train. 

Date: 01/06/17 09:31
Author: ProAmtrak

I know, Oct still don't get why some hate the bus, the Amtrak Buses actually are still nicer than the Greydogs!

Posted from Android

Date: 01/06/17 09:47
Author: hazegray

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> I know, Oct still don't get why some hate the bus,
> the Amtrak Buses actually are still nicer than the Greydogs!
>

I've ridden the bus 2-3 times.  Clean, always waiting for the inbound train, and good service.  
What's not to like?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds