Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Passenger Trains > North to the ice and snow---

Date: 01/19/17 18:02
North to the ice and snow---
Author: aronco

Train 14 from Los Angeles Friday, January 27 will have on rear, properly pointed, PV "TIOGA PASS", destined Seattle,, Washington..via the Natron Cutoff, Pengra Pass, and Eugene.  From Seattle, this car will move on train 8 over Stampede Pass and Marias Pass to Shelby, Montana, where it will be removed from Amtrak and move in freight service to Medicine Hat, Alberta, via Coutts, Lethbridge and Seven Persons, Alberta.  If our duties on this special trip permit, we will post photos taken from the rear platform.
A hardy group of adventurers are traveling with us a far as Shelby.  Shelby is a suburb of nowhere, but where is the Natron Cutoff and Pengra Pass?  And seven persons?
Who ever heard of that?

TIOGA PASS

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 01/19/17 18:17
Re: North to the ice and snow---
Author: wzd

Sounds like a fun trip - enjoy!!

Of course, the Natron Cutoff is SP's Cascade Route.

-- wzd

Date: 01/19/17 18:38
Author: GenePoon

Pengra Pass: the pass on the Natron Cutoff, named for Byron J. Pengra who
with William Odell (of Odell Lake fame) scouted the pass.

Natron is about 32 miles south of Eugene by current UP direction, west by
old SP direction, roughly east by compass.

Confused?

Date: 01/19/17 19:05
Author: kbehling

Stampede Pass? or you mean Stevens Pass

Date: 01/19/17 19:14
Author: desertjack

I didn't know #8 moved via Stampede Pass?

Date: 01/19/17 19:29
Author: cajon

This will happen only if train #14 and  #8 will be running. Where is #11 out of Seattle today?
See you Friday for a fun trip. No telling when I will get home with late trains cancel trains.
Dennis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/17 19:33 by cajon.

Date: 01/19/17 20:02
Author: cajon

Look like that #11 started at Salam OR today and not Seattle. I am guessing #14 did not make Seattle yesterday as running so late. Running 18 minutes late now.
Dennis

Date: 01/19/17 21:15
Author: jdb

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pengra Pass: the pass on the Natron Cutoff, named
> for Byron J. Pengra who
> with William Odell (of Odell Lake fame) scouted
> the pass.
>
> Natron is about 32 miles south of Eugene by
> current UP direction, west by
> old SP direction, roughly east by compass.
> Confused?

Well, sorta..............................

It should be Bynon J. Pengra.

And Natron is only about nine miles from Eugene.  There is a 23 mile gap  in the timetable at Springfield Junction. when the Natron Cutoff is used.

Pengra was leading a survey party to locate the Oregon Central Military Road.  Odell was with him.  They had surveyed up the Willamette and crossed the mountains near present day Summit lake.   On June 22, 1865 Odell climbed what is now Odell Butte and saw the low divide west of the Odell lake.  The next day Pengra climbed the butte and saw the pass.  They explored the area and departed.  There is no mention in the hadwritten notes of Pengra that they ever crossed to the west side.  Pengra's handwritten notes of the the survey can be read at the Oregon Historical Society in Portland.

jb

P.S.  Pengra named Odell lake for Odell.  Pengra pass was not named until November 2, 1927 by Lewis A. McArthur.  McArthur was secretary of the Oregon Geographic Board. 

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/17 21:23 by jdb.

Date: 01/19/17 22:50
Author: aronco

I guess I could claim that saying Stampede Pass was a test, but not so.  Hard as it may be believe, I was wrong. 

Norm

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/17 19:03 by aronco.

Date: 01/20/17 10:57
Author: bobs

11(19) Started in Portland, leaving 22 min late.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds