Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Passenger Trains > Hoosier State in the Fog and Sun

Date: 02/20/17 19:48
Hoosier State in the Fog and Sun
Author: kevink

On Sunday, 2/19/17, a buddy and I made the drive down to Indiana to see the Iowa Pacific version of the Hoosier State before it reverts to Amtrak at the end of the month. The cloudless skies we started under turned to thick fog the further south we drove on I-65. Limited by the lack of sun, we settled for a location just south of Brookston, IN for shot number 1. The second shot is in Monon, IN.

Re: Hoosier State in the Fog and Sun

We decided that the fog was not worth dealing with and headed north to Chicago. We handily beat the train and found a small contingetn of other fans at the 18th Street overpass.
1. IP 4135 leading the Hoosier State over the Chicago River
2. After unloading its passengers in Union Station, 4135 backed the train around the wye and west of Canal Street.
3. IP 4135 pulling south off the Canal Street Wye

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/17 19:53 by kevink.

A bonus shot of IP 4135

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/17 19:54 by kevink.

Date: 02/20/17 20:04
Author: teebone

great photos of a great train!  thank you!

Date: 02/20/17 21:16
Author: tq-07fan

My friend and I thought about going out on Sunday and I called it off account the forecast of fog around Lafayette. I was wondering how pictures from anyone that went for it turned out and they turned out pretty good. I was still asleep in my comfy comfy bed at that time.

Jim

Date: 02/21/17 02:12
Author: howeld

Light brown mini van?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/21/17 05:33
Author: alan2955

I and 2 friends were in the business class dome enjoying a farewell trip.  We saw people photographing the train, probably you.  I was feeling bad about the fog for photographers, but the pics still look nice.  It was a great ride both ways.  25 min early into Chicago despite some very slow running north of Rensselaer due to bad signals.  Return trip arrived Indy 19 min early with zero issues en route.  We had 90 in coach and 32 in dome on return trip.  Northbound was well patronized too,  but I didn't get numbers.  I'm sure going to miss this train!  I still feel the patronage killer is the bad parkiing situation at Indy and the 6am departure time.  Plus of course the scheduled 5:05 running time.  I think the schedule could realisticallly be tightened to 4:45 which sounds a bit better.  Thanks for the great pics!

Date: 02/21/17 06:48
Author: P

I'll say that your fog pictures are better than the others.

As to patronage, yes, many factors. Parking in Indy (or lack thereof) is definitely a turn off. Early departure?. Yes turn off. Somebody needs to do something. Status quo will keep things just as they are.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/21/17 07:31
Author: cabsignaldrop

A stop in the western 'burbs say near the airport or Brownsburg, with ample parking, would do wonders. For example Kirkwood Missouri often exceeds St. Louis in the number of passengers boarding the westbound Mules.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/21/17 07:46
Author: stuporchief

Nothing would have done wonders for this train without a decent schedule.

Date: 02/21/17 09:32
Author: howeld

They were having issues with the second unit on Sunday. It died immediately upon moving a few hundred feet while departing Chicago. Stopped isolated the unit and we departed with only a couple of minutes of delay.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0738 seconds