Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak 6 Late connections at Chicago Questions.

Date: 02/23/17 21:37
Amtrak 6 Late connections at Chicago Questions.
Author: traingeek087

It appears the writing is on the wall for me. My dad and I have a booking for one of the last runs of the IPH Hoosier State. Our initial plan was to ride the Cardinal out of Chicago, and take the Hoosier State back on Sunday.

Watching Yesterdays CZ (20 hours late), todays CZ (9.5 hours late) and tomorrows CZ, the one I'm suppose to be on (3.75 hours late), I fear we will not make our connection in Chicago. With #6 scheduled arrival time at 2:50PM, and the #50 5:45PM departure, that leaves 2:55 minutes of padding between the two, and the old saying seems to be in effect now, "late trains get later".

In the scenario that it will be close to making the connection, will Amtrak "Bus" connecting passengers from Galesburg to Chicago? I've seen this happen before with other long distance trains, but I am not sure for the #50. We booked our tickets under the "value" fare. It states in fine print that we do not get a refund for "no shows", but being we missed because of a connection problem, what might I expect as far as a kickback from Amtrak in Chicago? Any refund? Hotel room? Should I book a room tonight in Chicago to cover myself?

I realize this is winter, and that I chanced it with the connections. I don't have the vacation to waste a day in Chicago before going east on the #50 or #850, so that was my only option. With that being said, I'm just asking the simple questions. Anyone that is kind enough to answer them respectfully, I appriciate the feedback. Smart, non-benefitial comments that seem to always come from the same certain individuals are not needed. You know who you are. Be respectful and participate or please refrain from this post.

Thank you to all who can respectfully help me.
Traingeek087

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/17 21:41 by traingeek087.

Date: 02/23/17 22:18
Re: Amtrak 6 Late connections at Chicago Questions.
Author: The_Chief_Way

you don't tell us where you are starting your trip from. If you miss no 850 in CHI, they will likely get you to Indy
on a regular bus or charter van.

If you're starting in Galesburg, then there are options.

Date: 02/23/17 22:19

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you don't tell us where you are starting your trip
> from. If you miss no 850 in CHI, they will likely
> get you to Indy
> on a regular bus or charter van.
>
> If you're starting in Galesburg, then there are
> options.

Lincoln, NE. Sorry that was my bad.

Traingeek087

Date: 02/23/17 22:27
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

I have been in this 6-<>-50 pickle a few times before. Depending how close #6 can get to #50's departure, they may hold it for transferring pax. If it blows through that window, they will take you off at Galesburg and bus you to Indy. By about Burlington, the Conductor will give you a head's up on what the plans are. Better yet if this train can buck the late/later maxim and make it under the wire. Good luck and have fun...

Date: 02/23/17 22:32
Author: The_Chief_Way

Yes, there is Thruway bus service from Galesburg to Indy. That may be your best bet rather than staying on 6 to CHI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/17 06:55 by The_Chief_Way.

Date: 02/23/17 22:42

I know there is some padding on #6, but it's already almost 4 down and it's not even to Utah yet.

How does the Thruway bus service work? Does it just follow the same route of the train and go to all of the regularily scheduled station stops?

Thanks for the help so far. Makes me feel a little bit better that we can at least make it, although it might not be on a train like we wanted.

Traingeek087

Date: 02/23/17 23:27
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

There are a few variables here. There is daily Thruway service to Indy leaving Galesburg at 5:10P. We were pulled off at Galesburg and put on a nonstop bus to Indy to rejoin the train. But that was peak season with quite a few connecting pax. You'll get to Indy, prolly by bus, but at least your HS journey will be salvaged.

Date: 02/23/17 23:42

Hopefully this works out in the end. Main reason is for the HS trip, so if that works then I'm alright. Thanks for the help.

Traingeek087

Date: 02/24/17 05:36
Author: NYC4096

Traingeek: If your chosen Amtrak 6 arrival/departure time is looking bad out of Lincoln, and might not get you to Chicago in time for the Cardinal, here is a suggestion:  Fly to Chicago Midway (one way) from OMA on Southwest.  It will eliminate the guessing of being on time in Chicago for the Cardinal departure.  With an "L ride or limo to downtown from MDW", you'll  be positioned at Union Station with ease to board the Cardinal to INDY on time.  The next day you can enjoy the Hoosier State and have time for a great lunch in Chicago before boarding Amtrak 5 going westbound.  I used this option once to get a business associate/fellow railfan into Chicago from OMA when Amtrak 6 was delayed and it worked like a charm.  He flew to Chicago in an hour or so and took a cab to Union Station from MDW.  We met at Union Station and boarded the Capital Limited to DC, on time and without any sweat.

Knowing that your goal is to ride Cardinal and Hoosier State, I wouldn't risk waiting for inbound Amtrak 6 if they don't get that train's operating time back to normal today/tomorrow etc.  Hope this scenario helps and have a great trip! 

Date: 02/24/17 11:24
Author: BRAtkinson

Add me to the list that Amtrak bussed from Galesburg to Indianapolis due to a 4+ hour late #6 last May.  We encountered the results of a rock slide in Colorado (the detectors set the signals to red) and it required a crew to come out and replace a portion of the track.  It wasn't a large highway bus, but an oversized airport shuttle van that could seat perhaps 40 people.  I think there were about 20 that made that trip with me.  Although I got gyped out of free dinner on the Cardinal (I was in a sleeper), the choice of food were we stopped for dinner was 4-5 nationwide fast food places all together.  I went with Taco Bell.

Date: 02/25/17 08:01

Thanks for the help everyone. The weather was too bad to attempt to get out of town, so the airport wasn't an option at the time. There was actually a 70 vehicle wreck on I80 between the airport and us, so not going was a good idea. We ended up cancelling the trip because it was clear that it wouldn't make it to Chicago for the connection. It's a bit disappointing but that's how it goes. At least it wasn't a bigger, more expensive, and complicated trip.

Traingeek087

Date: 02/25/17 16:28
Author: tq-07fan

Awe man, I missed this thread. I know it's too late now but I would have called up Amtrak and seen what they suggested. Depending on who picked up the phone they may have been able to put you on the Burlington Trailways bus in Galesburg that left at 5:06 pm, it is a regular highway bus . You would have still actually got to Indianapolis before the Cardinal since it cuts across I-74. 

Sorry about your luck man, it happens to all of us sometimes.

Jim

Date: 02/25/17 16:45
Author: mundo

The bus is in the Amtrak Timetable  and computer.   Has been for many a year.

At one time, I suggested the bus when one was using train 4 to Indy.  Saves several hours.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds